CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

candlestick

1st October 2022, 19:33
I can’t parse either 37 or 38, although I’m sure my answers are correct. I’m not too happy about the Answer below the grid either, does that also derive from the song? I presume so, and looking at the lyrics, I can only see one possibility, though I’m not sure whether the articles should also be included.
31 of 104  -   Report This Post

candlestick

1st October 2022, 19:34
Sorry, article singular.
32 of 104  -   Report This Post

quisling

1st October 2022, 19:37
Candlestick, when you have the correct answer below the grid, and its justification, you will be in no doubt that it’s right
33 of 104  -   Report This Post

candlestick

1st October 2022, 19:48
Thanks, got that bit now. Just trying to see if there is an alternative to what I have for the thematic entries. I think I would have preferred a different verb for one.
34 of 104  -   Report This Post

drxx

1st October 2022, 20:01
Yes, I'd have prefrred a different verb for one of them.

37 - first word denotes an archaism, there's an extra letter in the 3rd word and the following two words show where the final letter of the anagram is positioned ('somehow' is the indicator).
38 - a single letter abbrev. for the first two words is the 'beginning' of the answer followed by the usual three letters for 'organised' ('beginning' is slightly awkward in this context, and the abbrev. includes a mark that is ignored... I think).
35 of 104  -   Report This Post

drxx

1st October 2022, 20:04
...sorry, extra letter's in the 4th word (not the 3rd).
36 of 104  -   Report This Post

son1ofrover1

1st October 2022, 20:04
I have the seven. Now for the three !
37 of 104  -   Report This Post

brendan

1st October 2022, 20:09
I see 38a now - I'd stupidly ignored the first letter followed by a dash in Chambers - will I never learn! 😥
38 of 104  -   Report This Post

crowdedmorning

1st October 2022, 22:49
I’ve a complete grid bit for one cell, but am flummoxed by 21ac (whose unchecked cell is the last empty one). Also unsure about the full parsing (and thus the missing elements) of 33ac and 18dn, which in my otherwise-complete parsing appear to have multiple extras…

I’m also absolutely nowhere with the triplets! This was largely a relatively smooth grid solve (for my novice abilities, anyway) but I’ve absolutely hit a wall. Perhaps my brain will have limbered up a bit by tomorrow.
39 of 104  -   Report This Post

brendan

1st October 2022, 22:55
Hi Crowdedmorning,

33a and 18d are both subtractive anagrams (the anagrind for 33a is wonderfully disguised)

Remember some entries are different from their answers.
40 of 104  -   Report This Post