CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

30th September 2022, 16:03
THE CLUES
Requests for help should normally include the clue itself, the number of letters in the answer and details of any you already have. Any special instructions or additional information should be given.
HINTS only, please, no answers.

THE THEME
Requests may be made here for gentle nudges towards the theme. It is, of course, hard to define exactly what constitutes a 'gentle nudge' - aim to help without being overly revealing.

Early finishers should avoid any allusions - jocular or otherwise - to the theme.

The Listener is a unique puzzle and deserves to be treated with respect.
1 of 104  -   Report This Post

quisling

30th September 2022, 18:12
Not Ifor’s hardest gridfill, but I needed to sort out the triplets to work out the song, which I imagine is what was intended. So no grid staring required, for which much thanks, Ifor
2 of 104  -   Report This Post

cockie

30th September 2022, 19:14
Some of these triplets are a lot harder than others (or maybe I'm just being more dense than usual). Mind you, I have only 14 of the required words.
3 of 104  -   Report This Post

drxx

30th September 2022, 20:54
Everything but the 'singular' requirement is very neat, I think - but why that?
4 of 104  -   Report This Post

drxx

30th September 2022, 21:05
A quick look back and I now see why that was necessary - but is there a missing hyphen in 38? I'm sure Ifor will be right, he doesn't make mistakes.
5 of 104  -   Report This Post

drxx

30th September 2022, 21:20
I've can see a likely abbreviation but that raises another issue for the wordplay - 'beginning' is awkward... and there's an unwanted hyphen now.
6 of 104  -   Report This Post

quisling

30th September 2022, 21:34
Drxx, I think the abbreviation you mention in #6 is certainly what’s meant. I think “beginning” is ok in terms of how the designation works, but I agree it introduces a redundant hyphen. Slightly weak, for me
7 of 104  -   Report This Post

drxx

30th September 2022, 21:49
Thanks quisling, I'm sure you're right - it just seems a little tortuous compared to everything else.
8 of 104  -   Report This Post

quisling

30th September 2022, 21:52
Agreed, drxx. It’s too precise not to be correct, though, imho. Do you anticipate any queries about the number of letters to be highlighted and the exact following of the preamble?
9 of 104  -   Report This Post

drxx

30th September 2022, 22:14
Not really - but there are other versions with slight differences, so anything's possible (one thematic adjustment isn't as well described by the song as it might be - maybe there's a better version for that?).
I think the 'singular' requirement actually confirms the final part of the endgame - that's the only bit I wasn't sure about.
10 of 104  -   Report This Post