CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cockie

17th October 2024, 13:19
[tba] means ...
81 of 90  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

17th October 2024, 15:24
I don't think there are any true abbreviations in the extended answers. There are 2 that could be thought of as such, but both seem to be in common enough usage that they qualify as words in their own right these days I think. Neither has 'abbrev' in Chambers as far as I can see.
82 of 90  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

17th October 2024, 15:27
Now you've got me worried that I'm missing something clever Cockie.
83 of 90  -   Report This Post

cockie

17th October 2024, 15:48
fragrant harold - think in terms of the minutes of a meeting where some action is mentioned, but not fully dealt with. the matter is to be .... (later). A bit like the thing that's happening in the retreat.
84 of 90  -   Report This Post

triceratops

17th October 2024, 20:12
Haha cockie it took me a while but finally got there and enjoyed it.

Puzzle of the year for me - novel style, great enjoyment and such a rich set of thematic devices
85 of 90  -   Report This Post

triceratops

17th October 2024, 20:13
Meant to ask - guessed it from the definition but how do you parse Discharge choking stunted river fish?
86 of 90  -   Report This Post

mattrom

17th October 2024, 20:40
Triceratops, see post #47
87 of 90  -   Report This Post

catkin

19th October 2024, 09:09
Perhaps everyone has now moved on to the new Listener, but I am finding it hard to give up on my last 4 clues. The grid isn't providing much help since I assume that their entry is uncoventional. Can anyone help with:
"Look into Catholic high school conveners"
"Local dropping musical penned by partners"
"Back alley mostly the usual place to find silken cloth"
"Them up north collecting recipe in Monteith bowl"
I know that there is a hint for the last two at 52, but it hasn't helped me so far.
I am also reasonably clear about the letter insertions into the last two clues.
Here's hoping!
88 of 90  -   Report This Post

primeprospect

19th October 2024, 14:15
Hi catkin For the "back alley..." clue you must reverse a 3-letter word for --alley plus "mostly" a 4-letter word (be it ever so humble) giving a fairly common word for a type of silk. For the "them up North" clue the extra letter goes into the last word in the clue; it's a 6-letter word beginning TH - - - - As for the other two clues, both undergo thematic treatment! Think of a famous 70s musical for the one, and a word for "look" as in " --- of superiority" for the other; this last word then enters 2 abbreviations, giving e.g. professors!
89 of 90  -   Report This Post

catkin

20th October 2024, 08:36
Thank you primeprospect. I was no where near those interpretations of the clues. Hats off! ;)
90 of 90  -   Report This Post