CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jack aubrey

12th October 2024, 17:33
I don’t follow Drxx. Cockie, CD and I all say that there is a number of empty cells, so how can the retreat be fully covered?
31 of 90  -   Report This Post

dylan

12th October 2024, 17:50
Not much progress since my post 2, but

a) I have an answer for Fruit producers for Scotland.... , which sort of fits, but in which I can't understand the wordplay

b) please could I have a tip for College of Valencian.....

Thanks
32 of 90  -   Report This Post

drxx

12th October 2024, 17:56
Jack Aubrey - If cockie's number is (let's keep it vague so as not to give too much away) in double figures, then it is far beyond the number of blank cells I have following the thematic treatments. And, if I have the correct number, it isn't big enough before the thematic treatments.

Hope I won't have to get any more deeply involved in this numbers business - perhaps I've been counting something else altogether? (and I thought we'd got free of numbers for one weekend!}
33 of 90  -   Report This Post

cypherhouse

12th October 2024, 18:00
This was a great puzzle! Thanks for setting it [tba] lots of fun.

dylan:

a) Unless I am mistaken: Definition goes to Yard. The next word is missing a letter, remove one letter (hard) and add 4 more for the special covers.

b) One letter college, 7 letter Valencian. The second word will tell you how these relate when you add a letter to it. You'll also need 2 letters for cheers.
34 of 90  -   Report This Post

drxx

12th October 2024, 18:01
It's a particular native of Valencia (minus c[ollege]) plus 2 letters for 'cheers!' giving an Italian team.

Add a letter to 'but' suggesting boxing (and remove the 'h').
35 of 90  -   Report This Post

buddy

12th October 2024, 18:09
Where '71' falls in a list of primes is a matter of counting up to a double-digit number, but one that would be familiar to the average six-year-old, I think; I agree that the number of blank cells in the final grid matches this number.

[He withdraws, serenely confident that this puts the matter to rest, once and for all...]
36 of 90  -   Report This Post

drxx

12th October 2024, 18:22
Well, I'm glad the 6 year old part of my brain that I reserve for this stuff got it right.
On the other hand, I do not agree with the number of blank cells you've got - and I'm perfectly happy with my solution (I used the more mature part of my brain on that).
37 of 90  -   Report This Post

lewap

12th October 2024, 21:37
I'm sure it must be obvious but I'm not seeing the parsing of the Tube leaking lurid, metallic compound clue. Any hints appreciated.
Apart from that, the 4-letter word I was sure was required for concealing the retreat perhaps isn't as straightforward as I first thought. It will fit in the 10th row to create a longer word...but no other obvious candidates...
38 of 90  -   Report This Post

drxx

12th October 2024, 21:45
It's a straight clue with the metalloid compound (9 letters) losing a word in the clue - def is 'tube', slang.
39 of 90  -   Report This Post

jbird54

12th October 2024, 21:46
Lewap - you have to remove 'lurid' from a word meaning 'metalloid compound'.
40 of 90  -   Report This Post