CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lumen

13th October 2024, 08:53
Yes the bottom third is still to crack for me too. I did have both of those, but am missing back alley silk cloth one, and Monteith bowl too. The final two down clues. I have the letters to add to clues.
51 of 90  -   Report This Post

andyp

13th October 2024, 09:10
lumen -

back alley is a reversal clue - two three letter elements reversed. defn is last two words.

Monteith bowl is a container clue - sinlge letter inside 5 letter word from north of the border meaning first word of clue (i didnt know it, and hadnt come across the answer either)

52 of 90  -   Report This Post

cockie

13th October 2024, 09:19
andyp - you must still be a young chap - it's a birds-eye view, remember. The wonder of the title and the setter occurred to me only this morning. Brilliant!
53 of 90  -   Report This Post

granama1

13th October 2024, 09:22
I think I've completed this but still scratching my head over 'Part of Spain finally returned' (4)

I have the answer and the parsing seems straightforward but what I have used to be but isn't any more.

The answer is also involved in my least convincing part of the end game - so maybe I haven't finished yet. 🫤
54 of 90  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

13th October 2024, 09:31
Granama, I thought of this clue as an &lit.
55 of 90  -   Report This Post

granama1

13th October 2024, 09:36
Ah. Thanks Jack. Yes, that works perfectly. 👍
56 of 90  -   Report This Post

espebe

13th October 2024, 10:47
But I don't think it's involved in the endgame.
57 of 90  -   Report This Post

nxe

13th October 2024, 11:03
All done. Are we meant to be able to deduce the setter? That bit (appropriately enough) has gone over my head.
58 of 90  -   Report This Post

andyp

13th October 2024, 11:32
cockie - relatively so, yes. i know what the middle of the grid represents, along with the entry extensions. However the bottom of the grid - paritcular as the retreat narrows then extends again, is puzzling me.

The title is clever (and i see the relevance) - and im sure the setter name is as well - but too clever for me at the moment!

59 of 90  -   Report This Post

cockie

13th October 2024, 12:08
andyp, just imagine what the grid is showing, and think how increasing years will effect gradual changes. Then wonder what the two abbreviations actually mean. The pdm is worth all the effort.
60 of 90  -   Report This Post