CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

elle

3rd October 2018, 17:26
Hi, Rusty!
It has been a beautiful afternoon here, - the sun shone, the sky was blue and the temperature reached 19C!
I wish I could send you a little of our good weather!
But I hope your rain eventually stopped?
We were home late......and unfortunately missed our daughter's daily phone call, made on her way home from the office.
I shall try to get her at home later on.
All my recently ordered books from Amazon have now arrived - in very good condition.
I am pleased!
Did you find time to watch the programme from the British Library about Nicola Benedetti?
23141 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

3rd October 2018, 17:56
Good afternoon, Elle!
It has brightened up, here!
Well done on your Amazon books.
Don't put them in the wrong box, now!
I agree with Malone's post at 15.28.
That is my understanding of the system up here.
I have watched Nicola's programme and enjoyed it!
Her great hero is Beethoven and the library had scores in his own writing.
She is very enthusiastic about education and they showed her a decree by Queen Elizabeth 1 encouraging childrens' education in music and singing.
This book of documents contained many autographs including Cromwell's, James 1/V1, Queen Elizabeth 1, etc.
She also explored her Italian ancestry in Scotland, including ice cream shops!
And her family were interned during the last War, and one member of her family just missed sailing on the Arandora Star, which was taking internees to Canada when it was torpedoed off the coast of Donegal, and around 850 lost.
Her gift to the Library was a cadenza she had composed and it was in her own writing and she played and recorded in the actual library for them to keep.
A smashing programme!
23142 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

3rd October 2018, 18:14
Update, Elle!
Here is a brief video of Nicola playing a cadenza that was composed especially for her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl5baizlykA
23143 of 30765  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd October 2018, 18:55
Rusty, I saw Nicola B at the Usher Hall last year. She was absolutely mesmerising. I've also seen her being interviewed and she was wonderful then too - so willing to open music up to youngsters, so keen to get people involved.

I wouldn't pass judgment on other countries' educational systems, but saying that England's appears terribly complicated seems quite apparent to 'outsiders'!
23144 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

3rd October 2018, 19:30
Hi, Rusty!
Thank you for the link to hear Nicola's interview, and to listen to her playing.
She comes across as a very nice, unassuming young woman.
No wonder you so much enjoyed the British library programme about her!
Those Library programmes in general sound really great - very interesting and educational.
I receive a regular newsletter from the British Library, telling me of their various exhibitions, and talks and discussions, on site.
I think the Library is near to King's Cross ?
One of these days I shall get there!
My two eldest grandsons are both learning to play the violin......the elder boy has an exam soon.
I fear they have still a (very) long way to go........!
But perhaps Nicola will be an inspiration to them!
It is already very dark here.
23145 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

3rd October 2018, 19:56
Hello, Malone!
I agree about Nicola.
She is a brilliant musician and is very keen to help young ones get on.
As we say up here, "a very nice lassie!"
23146 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

3rd October 2018, 20:05
Hello, Elle!
I am glad you liked Nicola. I have been a fan for some time.
A very nice girl and a wonderful musician.
Now, I hope this works.
It's a clip about the Sky Arts programme that Nicola was on.
They don't mention the ice cream shop though!
But, you can see Beethoven's tuning fork.
Nicola was not allowed to try it out!

https://www.bl.uk/british-library-treasures/articles/nicola-benedetti-in-sky-arts-treasures-of-the-british-library

Fingers crossed, it works!
It may give you a wee flavour of what the programmes are like.
I enjoy them, Elle, but I do not know anyone else who watches, to get another opinion!

23147 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

3rd October 2018, 21:34
Hi, Rusty!
Yes, your link worked fine...thank you!
I have been exploring the various avenues from it!
It is an interesting programme in that it goes into such depth about the subjects......and shown through the eyes of an observer makes it all the more "real".
Did you know that you can get a Reader's Ticket for the Library if you can prove that you really need to look up information about a subject / object, or view an artefact stored there?
But you have to "prove " relevance that so doing will really serve to enhance your project.
Did you see that at the end of the video link there was an opportunity to sign up for the Library's Newsletter?
This is what I receive.
It makes interesting reading.
Why not try it?
23148 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

3rd October 2018, 21:54
Hello, Elle,
I find it astonishing what the Library contains!
And they have curators for everything in it!
The curators are very knowledgeable.
Julia Donaldson was very good on "Treasures", and I had not heard of her before.
I liked Benjamin Zephania, too, and he was new to me.
And I liked Nicola B.
Just a pity the programme is not on BBC2 or C4, though.
I am sure many folk would enjoy it.
My eldest son visits London regularly, by train, which arrives at Kings Cross Station, and he told me the Library is close by.
Yes, I may sign up for the newsletter.
23149 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

3rd October 2018, 22:34
Hi, Rusty!
Ah, one of the advantages of having young grandchildren......I do know of Julia Donaldson!
She is an excellent children's author.....especially known for "The Gruffalo" and "Stickman"!
She writes wonderful books, ably illustrated by Axel Scheffler.
My grandkids loved them !
Yes, I agree ...it is a great pity that the "Treasures" programme is not shown on a TV channel perhaps more readily accessible.
I should like to see it.
I've just been catching up with a serial I am following on ITV - "Strangers" - it is getting somewhat complicated.......
I was put in mind of the days when I used to watch "Perry Mason" (Raymond Burr)….. and his secretary "Delia" would come on at the end to "explain" the plot.....
I could do with that with "Strangers"!
(Did you ever watch "Perry Mason"? or read the books by Erle Stanley Gardner?)
23150 of 30765  -   Report This Post