CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

1st October 2018, 21:38
Rusty, my son was very, very keen on The Simpsons and had every episode on video, DVDs etc. I must have absorbed 'Homer' from the few minutes I saw of those. (I have heard of the 'Greek lad', but didn't think of him for the clue.)
23111 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

1st October 2018, 21:40
Hello, Elle!
"Quotation" is the answer.
Perhaps you are thinking too deeply about St Paul.
St Paul is in the Bible, and could the the setter be misdirecting you to a passage from St Paul, Minnesota?
I'll have a look on YouTube.... but Mark Goodliffe, "the man", won the GB Sudoku Championship at the weekend, to go with his umpteen Times Crossword Championships.
Now, the circus family was/is The Wallendas.
I found them on YouTube and came across of the founder of the troupe, Karl Wallenda, plunging to his death from a high wire in Puerto Rico.
Right, I shall have a look to see if Mark is on YouTube tonight!
23112 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

1st October 2018, 21:48
Update, Elle!
I looked on YouTube, but no sign of Mark.
The most recent solve was by Simon, on 26 September.
You have the clue solved, Elle, there are "passages" in the Bible, too, remember.
"Passage" is a sideways walk in "dressage", too.
23113 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

1st October 2018, 22:04
Hi, Rusty!
Yes, I saw "quotation" = estimated cost" straightaway.....but I find the rest of the clue very unsatisfactory.
Thank you, though, for looking up Mark Goodliffe!
A pity that his expertise was not forthcoming to help us today!
I meant to ask you whether you and your son had managed to find the time to do all your jobs?
23114 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

1st October 2018, 22:42
Hello, Elle!
I think the clue is perfectly fine.
For me, the setters in the main do a marvellous job in creating clues that direct and misdirect at the same time!
It is an extraordinary skill they have learned, I think.
And we get the benefit and pleasure when we tackle the puzzles!
No, my son has to find time to help me out.
He is a busy lad, what with work and family, and doggie walking!
No rush, and everything is ready and waiting.
23115 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

1st October 2018, 22:49
Sorry, Malone, I've just noticed your post!
When my granddaughters were small, we watched a lot of the Children's Channel programmes.
I became a big fan of "Little Bear", the Canadian animation, and we always watched "Two of a Kind".
Now, I've nobody to watch them with!
23116 of 30765  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd October 2018, 07:15
Rusty, it was fine - sometimes there's a lot of traffic on this thread! I've never seen the children's programmes you mentioned, but I can remember lots of others. I liked 'Button Moon' and 'Mr Benn' (not Mr Bean!).
23117 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

2nd October 2018, 08:40
Good morning, Malone!
"Button Moon" is a new one to me.
I have lots of childrens channels on my Sky TV set up, and now and again I have a wee look to see if Little Bear or Two of a Kind are still showing.
Two of a Kind, was about twin pre-teen girls, Mary-Kate and Ashley, who lived with their single Dad.
We loved it!
23118 of 30765  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd October 2018, 09:00
Aah, Rusty - I wondered why your 'Two Of A Kind' was vaguely familiar. Now you've told me the storyline, I think my daughter was a fan. 'Button Moon' was good because it was so awful - an animation made on a really low budget.
23119 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

2nd October 2018, 10:21
A Very Good morning to you, Rusty!
Another lovely day here...cold but sunny and bright.
I needed my fleece when walking the dog.
Speaking of twins.....did you ever see the Walt Disney film, "the Parent Trap"?
Identical twins - both played by Haley Mills - meet at Summer Camp, unaware that they are sisters.
Their parents separated when the girls were very young, and each took a child to live with them.
One of your favourites, Maureen O'Hara, played the mother...so you may well have seen it?
it was lovely film...much better, I thought, than the remake starring Lindsay Lohan.
A quiet day today...... crossword, then more book sorting!
I shall need more boxes ......
23120 of 30765  -   Report This Post