CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

elle

3rd October 2018, 10:49
Good morning, Rusty!
It is a lovely day here...a bit warmer, too, than of late.
I had an enjoyable walk...I was a bit late getting back, as I kept meeting folk!
Did you pay your visit to the cemetery with your flowers?
Now...schools!
I think my daughter has four schools in mind at present.....although they still have more to visit.
As I understand it, the requirement is to list three schools on the general Admissions form, in order of preference.
Some schools offer aptitude tests which if passed at the required standard will guarantee a place for 10% or 20% of the applicants
But for the remainder it is all done on distance from the school , sibling preference etc.
I think the pupils are all "banded", which sounds like the old Comprehensive system.
I am not at all well up in the State school system......and in any case it is different, where they live in the Midlands, from here as we have selective State schooling in Kent and some London borders.
My daughter is very sensible ...I am sure they will make the right decision in the end.......but it does sound to be a difficult choice.
23131 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

3rd October 2018, 11:44
Good morning, Elle!
Fell dreich here!
Aye, I was at cemetery, it was quite rainy, and had the place to myself!
That's my duty done for another wee while.
I visited a large TESCO store on my way home, and it is not a patch on my ASDA, and it is more expensive.
I am struggling to understand your schools intake system!
Seems a bit complicated?
I am sure your sensible daughter will make the correct decisions, though.
Any plans today, or is it book sorting?
I have a programme to watch that I recorded.
"Treasures of the British Library".
This week it was Nicola Benedetti.
I like Nicola, she works a lot with children.
Her violin is a Stradivarius and valued at two million pounds!
23132 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

3rd October 2018, 12:35
Hi, Rusty!
It isn't raining here (yet) but it has gone very dull... a big change from early on.
You and me both, Rusty, where 'not understanding' this schools selection process is concerned!
Remember this is what is done in the Midlands!
Nottinghamshire to be precise!
No, no plans for today...books (apart from reading them ) are strictly off limits....
Certainly no sorting...... I am having a "rest" day.
Having said that, I have actually been busy all morning doing all sorts of small tasks here and there.....
I haven't even looked at the crossword yet!
Isn't Nicola Benedetti Scottish?
(I wonder what the Insurance costs on her violin?)
23133 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

3rd October 2018, 13:25
Hello, Elle!
My friends in and around Belfast have a similar scheme for schools, but I have not heard of it in Scotland.
I think here they go to the nearest school and that's that.
I think....!
I must ask Miss O.
I have not looked at my puzzle, too.
Yes, Nicola is from somewhere in Ayrshire, I believe.
The insurance for the Strad will be massive I would say!
Wonder who paid for the violin?
I would be feared I would sit on it!
23134 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

3rd October 2018, 15:10
Hi, Rusty!
Uhmm…....or else put your foot through it!
All I have is a (tuppenny -halfpenny) recorder!
I cannot even play the piano......although we do have one, which we inherited with the house!
The girls both learned to play!
But speaking of musical prowess reminds me ....
Entry to one of these secondary schools is by musical prowess or acting ability or some such......
I think it is called a "performing arts" school?
Yes, ask Miss O how your schools in Scotland operate their secondary school selection process .......
I should be interested to hear.
I must take out the dog........
23135 of 30765  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd October 2018, 15:28
Elle/Rusty, the vast majority of primary schoolchildren simply move on to the secondary school that is the designated one for their catchment area. People who live right on a catchment border can apply to go to another, nearby, secondary school. This is the state scheme, of course. I have English friends, who lived in Harrogate, and their son and daughter went to two different secondaries. The son went to one school as it had a strong, sporting slant, the daughter went to another, which had strengths in the performing arts. It seemed complicated to me!
23136 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rosalind

3rd October 2018, 15:37

In Buckinghamshire, the situation is made difficult by the increasing size of small towns. The developers do not have to build more schools or doctor's surgeries. So a child from a satellite village may go to the local excellent infant and junior schools (though I know of at least one 4 year old who could not do so), but not be able to get into their nearest (and good) secondary school because it's full of recently "imported" children from the town.
23137 of 30765  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd October 2018, 15:44
Thanks, Rosalind. That was interesting. I have always found the English system very complicated anyway! Junior schools and middle schools and sixth-form colleges... I could never keep track of what stage my friend's children were at! Some of the primary schools in Scotland have the problem you mentioned - when new houses/housing states are built, the infrastructure isn't always there to support them.
23138 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

3rd October 2018, 16:50
Hello, Malone!
Re your post 23136....
I am not sure whether you are simply describing here how the State education system works in Scotland?
But that is NOT what basically happens here ...in our area, for instance, we have a Selective Secondary School system, where the more able children can apply for the Grammar schools.
This is also applicable throughout the whole of Kent.
It is a totally different system again in the part of the Midland where my daughter lives.
I am assuming from this that the schooling selection process obviously varies according to the county in which one lives.
I hope this clarifies it somewhat for you.
23139 of 30765  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd October 2018, 16:56
Yes, Elle, I simply missed off the 'in Scotland' when I mentioned state education. I know it varies from county to county in England, and I feel that adds another layer of confusion. My friend, who lives in Surrey, has grandchildren in Brighton, Staffordshire, Doncaster and inner London. I don't think any two of those work under the same system!
23140 of 30765  -   Report This Post