CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jack aubrey

29th July 2024, 11:16
Thanks, Hamish. Great fun, lovely clues - shades of Araucaria - and the nina was definitely icing on the cake.
81 of 90  -   Report This Post

pamd

1st August 2024, 16:03
Late as ever (my husband was determined to struggle on), with an empty Nw corner: Brendan's 48 about the Nina gives me the first letters of 1 (now solved, how did we miss it?),2 &3, but doesn't help with 7 9, 12. A nudge for any one of them might be all we need!

Is the _N___ of 9 perhaps a viewpoint, physical or figurative,?

82 of 90  -   Report This Post

pamd

1st August 2024, 16:27
Ah, got them all now. LoI 12a. Will now look at the Nina. Thanks to Brendan for 48, which led me to this last group of elusive answers!
83 of 90  -   Report This Post

hamishsoup

2nd August 2024, 18:29
Now the deadline for entries has passed, I can copy here the text of a letter which will be in the Guardian tomorrow:

"I apologise to solvers who visited the web address hidden on the perimeter of last Saturday’s prize crossword only to find they had been redirected to the music video for a Rick Astley song. In fairness, last Saturday was the anniversary of the song’s release date, the solutions to 16D and 11D were RICK and ROLL, and the initial letters of the clues spelled “NEVER GONNA TELL A LIE AND HURT YOU”. I feel I gave ample warning."

It was fun to watch you all working on this - but I can't believe none of you spotted the acrostic :-)

Take care,

Hamish/Soup
84 of 90  -   Report This Post

chrise

2nd August 2024, 18:47
Hamish/Soup
Might have made more sense if I had heard of Rick Astley!
I think I had ROCK rather than RICK anyway....
85 of 90  -   Report This Post

geeker

2nd August 2024, 18:50
Thanks for visiting, hamishsoup.
Ouch, should have thought of looking for the acrostic!
But the excuse is that I'd never heard of Rick Astley before this puzzle. 😳
86 of 90  -   Report This Post

jono

2nd August 2024, 18:56
Well I had heard of Rick Astley so have no such excuse.
Excellent work Hamish, thanks for letting us know!
87 of 90  -   Report This Post

darla

3rd August 2024, 00:52
Well done, Soup!
88 of 90  -   Report This Post

moonjets

3rd August 2024, 11:56
So good. (Missed the acrostic because I never look at all the clues together on the app: clearly a mistake!)
89 of 90  -   Report This Post

dhope

3rd August 2024, 14:28
Thanks again Soup— did anyone spot the initial letters of clues spelling never gonna tell a lie and hurt you?
Pure genius.
90 of 90  -   Report This Post