CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rocky7

20th July 2024, 22:59
If I'm honest I don't know how 22d parses. But it was late in for me so the crossers and the theme made it fairly apparent.
51 of 80  -   Report This Post

jono

20th July 2024, 23:49
Roof, thanks for mentioning curry favour, I was reminded it has an interesting derivation from the older expression “curry Fauvel”, the name of a much-admired horse in a 14c French poem, “Roman de Fauvel”.

The literal sense of to curry with regards to horses etc, as used here, is still in use it seems.
52 of 80  -   Report This Post

barretter

21st July 2024, 00:20
Yes, to do 26a to a horse you use a currycomb.
53 of 80  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

21st July 2024, 00:43
rocky7
Synonym for class act (in a top of the bill sort of way) is 4,4.
Take the first ‘time’ and the head of research from that.
I think ‘principal’ is unnecessary in the clue, but I may be missing something.
54 of 80  -   Report This Post

mattrom

21st July 2024, 00:53
Rocky7 and Rogissimo, I think 'principal' means 'ignore the first instance of that particular letter', as there are two of them in the original phrase.
55 of 80  -   Report This Post

dhope

21st July 2024, 08:15
Many thanks to Jono, rocky7, barretter and mattron for help with parsing of 22d and meaning of curry. This is what makes this forum such an interesting and friendly place—- help when needed, new knowledge —- currycomb!
It may take me hours sometimes but who cares ,thanks again, enjoy this beautiful weather while it lasts.
56 of 80  -   Report This Post

dhope

21st July 2024, 08:18
Apologies rogissimo I left you out from my list , thank you too.
57 of 80  -   Report This Post

havermonkey

21st July 2024, 10:25
Hi everyone, it took me ages and a glance at the forum to even get started on this, I think I only had one clue in after a couple of passes! Has been a steady solve since then and I was only left with 18d. Looking at it again this morning I still cannot see it. Could someone break it down for me? Am I missing something really obvious?

Thanks
58 of 80  -   Report This Post

dhope

21st July 2024, 10:30
Hi Havermonkey, definition is a place to kill , three letter word for vampire , four letter word for to go berserk (turned up.
59 of 80  -   Report This Post

havermonkey

21st July 2024, 10:35
I've got a_a_t_i_. Are my crossers right? And the A first before the three letters for vampire? Should have checked I've got my letters right!
60 of 80  -   Report This Post