CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rogissimo

22nd June 2024, 01:16
This one took a bit longer than many recent Prize offerings, with a couple of fairly obscure words and a bit of GK that I took ages to dredge up. A wide variety of cryptic clues, and range of difficulty, made for an enjoyable experience overall.
FOI: the gimme at 1dn. LOI: 3dn.
Too many contenders for COD, but I very much liked my almost LOI 13d. And I enjoyed my name-check at 29d.
Thanks, Brummie!
1 of 63  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

22nd June 2024, 01:18
Oh and there’s a theme which I’ve only just spotted. Rare for me to see them at all without being prompted.
2 of 63  -   Report This Post

geeker

22nd June 2024, 01:33
Thanks to Brummie. I found this difficult because of obscure words and GK.

FOI 9a, LOI 5.

Co-COD: 3 and 22 stood out for me, though there were several other strong clues.
3 of 63  -   Report This Post

rainman

22nd June 2024, 03:34
Thanks for making me look for a theme, although I am disappointed that I am not included.

I'm puzzled by 3dn. I have an answer that I can even parse, but if I'm right, the GK seems obscure in the extreme. Not exactly a household name, unless I'm just too young (which I doubt). I'm also not exactly sure how 'old' fits into 1dn, although I'm sure of the answer since it's thematic.
4 of 63  -   Report This Post

darla

22nd June 2024, 03:37
Insert "old" into your 1d.
5 of 63  -   Report This Post

rainman

22nd June 2024, 03:48
Thanks, Darla. I'm so used to the single-letter abbreviation that I didn't even consider that. I'm trying to eliminate such blind spots, but I still have a way to go.
6 of 63  -   Report This Post

geeker

22nd June 2024, 04:14
rainman, I don't think 3d is *that* obscure. Granted I'm American, which helped, but I guessed the solution almost immediately based on the crosser with 9a, which was my FOI. Took quite a while to see the parsing, though.
Tough to say much without spoilers, but some of his works received adaptations that were almost thematic.
7 of 63  -   Report This Post

rainman

22nd June 2024, 04:41
Geeker, I'm always prepared to admit my ignorance, but according to a couple of online searches, his works have not been revived that often in recent years, so I didn't feel too guilty not knowing him. I mentioned it because I was worried that I had the wrong answer (I still am), although he does have a tenuous link to the theme.
8 of 63  -   Report This Post

jono

22nd June 2024, 08:28
Nice puzzle. I counted six theme items but I’m sure there could be others I’ve not heard of.
Thanks to Brummie.
9 of 63  -   Report This Post

jono

22nd June 2024, 08:32
…ok, now I’m at seven.
10 of 63  -   Report This Post