CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

9th September 2023, 19:11
micky, I always thought of a fairy tale rather than a nursery rhyme.
And for US boomer nerds, it figured in the ancient (going back to 1970s) computer game "Adventure". 🤣
71 of 79  -   Report This Post

pault

9th September 2023, 21:04
Because only one of them leaves.
72 of 79  -   Report This Post

darla

9th September 2023, 21:07
Yes, fairy tale was the term I meant to write.
73 of 79  -   Report This Post

bacchanal

10th September 2023, 07:44
Thanks to Philistine. 18a has rightly drawn much praise; I also enjoyed 3d and 20d, and the new (old) word in the top right corner.
I trust Brendan can see that a good number of would-be solvers greatly value his input here.
74 of 79  -   Report This Post

redpete

10th September 2023, 08:31
Geezer
I remember that wonderful PDM when I discovered what "A hollow voice said plugh".

The game got me interested in computing. I even have a version of Adventure on my phone!
75 of 79  -   Report This Post

redpete

10th September 2023, 09:36
Damn that predictive text GeeKer
76 of 79  -   Report This Post

cinders

10th September 2023, 20:48
Still struggling with three clues but I think we’ll get there. Please don’t stop posting Brendan as your comments help us to persevere.
77 of 79  -   Report This Post

barryc

11th September 2023, 08:35
Hi, all. Bit late to the party. Found this far easier than usual but still enough of a challenge. Agree 18A is wonderful, and that you (Brendan) should continue as usual, please.
Quite a few other enjoyable clues. (If only I could wish my 23 6 (homonymically)!)

I hope Druh is still persevering.

Thanks everyone
78 of 79  -   Report This Post

luko

11th September 2023, 13:21
Please continue Brendan, you always give the perfect combination of illumination and encouragement.

Struggled with quite a lot of this, partly due to post-summer holiday exhaustion (well, that's my excuse), so very grateful for all the hints here. 8D a useful addition to my vocabulary (as long as I can remember it!), 28A was previously known but well buried. 18A definitely COD although plenty of other good ones.

I thought 7D and 13D was a deliberate pair, clued in completely different ways, that brought a smile; I think the objection to 1A is unnecessarily pedantic with a loose meaning of 'spiralling'. Altogether thanks to Philistine for a good bit of entertainment and some instruction.

Best wishes to all and thanks again for the hints and company
79 of 79  -   Report This Post