CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

9th September 2023, 04:14
Hi Blimeyoreilly,

Think of a specific day of the year associated with "fools" then abbreviate it to 3 letters and add the number of the day.

11 of 79  -   Report This Post

paulnz

9th September 2023, 04:18
Thanks Brendan, I had the wrong tense for the winter warmth word and i was trying to match the middle 4 letters of a word for financial.
12 of 79  -   Report This Post

darla

9th September 2023, 06:29
I’m falling in with geeker as well. Thought this mostly on the easier side, and would have finished in 20 minutes if not for 8d. As Brendan mentioned, not in Chambers, although there is a related word. I was happy to finally get “foolish day.”

I don’t think the two similar words were an oversight. I felt it was an intentional pair, and it gave me a chuckle.
13 of 79  -   Report This Post

lucertola

9th September 2023, 07:12
Hi Brendan. Please don't stop giving your hints! Many people posting here are crossword adepts irritatingly declaring how simple it all is, but some of us need all the help we can get just to get started!
14 of 79  -   Report This Post

dhope

9th September 2023, 07:41
Please don’t call a halt Brendan !
15 of 79  -   Report This Post

docrum

9th September 2023, 08:04
Your hints are very welcome. So many of us just want a hint to help us complete, just having the answers defeats the object,
16 of 79  -   Report This Post

jono

9th September 2023, 08:12
Medium difficulty I thought. We know to expect medical references with Philistine and there are a good few here.
8d is a nice word. One online source dates it to 1623 and confirms that “it will not be found in any modern dictionary aside from the OED”.
18a raised a smile :-)
17 of 79  -   Report This Post

justsolve

9th September 2023, 08:39
Well I was firmly in the Brendan camp on this one. 8d and 28a were new words which is always a bonus so thank you Philistine. My LOIs were the whole of the NW which were all clever clues but I just wasn't on the setter's wavelength. I am still waiting for a PDM as I still cannot see where the first 5 letters of 18a come from...Brendan please don't change BTW, your insights have often helped to break a logjam. Have a good weekend everyone.
18 of 79  -   Report This Post

cheshirejohn

9th September 2023, 08:41
L am also in the geeker camp here. I often struggle with other compilers but always seem to be on the right wavelength for Philistine. Enjoyable puzzle with plenty of clever clues.
19 of 79  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

9th September 2023, 08:49
I found half easy and the rest a bit tricky.
I also cannot parse the first five letters of 18a.

@Brendan, carry on posting as your thoughts are helpful.
20 of 79  -   Report This Post