CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

micky

9th September 2023, 17:11
Thanks Jono and Chrise. It's now so blindingly obvious that I can't imagine how I missed it. 😖
51 of 79  -   Report This Post

iansw

9th September 2023, 17:17
Sorry to be dense, but I can't parse 16d. Smudgekent said that 4 is in the grid - well 4d clearly is! And ignoring the odds in that word gives of and u??
52 of 79  -   Report This Post

iansw

9th September 2023, 17:18
... sorry, o and u
53 of 79  -   Report This Post

chrise

9th September 2023, 17:19
you need to "ignore the odds" elsewhere, and also use 4d
54 of 79  -   Report This Post

iansw

9th September 2023, 17:23
Thanks chrise, was over thinking!
55 of 79  -   Report This Post

roof

9th September 2023, 17:26
Hi Everybody

Personally, I liked the sameness of 7d and 13d. It made me smile. I also loved 18ac which brought an even bigger smile. I found it hard to start and have done quite a few, but am seriously stuck now. A couple of the hints above have helped me, but others have left me not at all sure. I've still got quite a few to do.

Chris, I can't remember the names of any organic compounds or is that not the definition for 25ac?

I understand the reference to goats for 26ac, but cannot see what "undesirable poster" means. Perhaps because I don't "post". I cannot see what the grasshopper in 4d means. Can I have a hint please.

On a Saturday my husband and I do the quick crossword over lunch and today we were amazed at the number of answers with one or two Zs. It actually helped us get some of the answers. Did anyone else notice? My husband doesn't help with the cryptic unless I need some musical knowledge.
56 of 79  -   Report This Post

geeker

9th September 2023, 17:27
"Undesirable poster" as on internet forums. :-)
57 of 79  -   Report This Post

roof

9th September 2023, 17:30
But I don't go on internet forums - apart from here.
58 of 79  -   Report This Post

chrise

9th September 2023, 17:31
hi roof
the compounds make up the last 6 letters of 25 - sweet, fruity smelling ones (pear drops is a good example)
the solution to 26 is also used for someone who posts rude posts online. luckily that rarely happens here!
take the last letter off a destructive grasshopper relative for 4
59 of 79  -   Report This Post

darla

9th September 2023, 17:35
Roof @58, if that doesn't help, "Gruff" refers to a nursery rhyme.
60 of 79  -   Report This Post