CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pigale

29th October 2018, 16:30
Hello jigjag,

I am just back to the computer having had a rest on the couch - still
half asleep, so much so that your little clue is lost on me so far!
Brain is probably to full of various pain killers!
I can only presume that the first word may be 'back'?
but this is just a wild guess! Sorry but I am obviously not thinking
straight!
23581 of 30765  -   Report This Post

pigale

29th October 2018, 16:32
sorry, typo - 'too full' of course!
23582 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

29th October 2018, 16:36
Hi, Rusty!
Oops! I almost forgot about the clocks having gone back.....
It was just gone 3pm when I realised, and thereupon rushed to take out the dog straightaway, so that I would be back before it went dark!
I shall have to get used to going out earlier in the afternoons, now that the darker evenings are upon us.
How about you?
Did you get out for a walk, once the rain had stopped?
I thought the crossword today was an easier one?
I think I have actually parsed each and every one!
That must be a first for me?!
23583 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

29th October 2018, 18:16
Good evening, Elle!
Yes, early dark now!
No, I have stayed home since morning.
I thought the puzzle was on the easy side today, too.
Did you understand "knock" in 20a?
Or "on" in 18d?
I wondered if they may puzzle you?
I have my heating on, it's chilly!
23584 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rosalind

29th October 2018, 19:56
Sorry to hear of your accident and its sequel, pigale. How very thorough the medics were! Two kinds of morphine sounds very serious - I sincerely hope you will not be lifting any more heavy weights. Ever. And I also hope that your back gets better soon.

Jiglag, I have been trying your other clue for a while. I can't fit Heswall, Leasowe etc. So sorry, I give up. I was also going to suggest the nurse will be taking your blood pressure, if you let her! When I went for a flu jab last year she was unwinding the machine all ready and asked if she could take it. I said no. That's the way to polypharmacy, though to be fair I do have a machine at home and keep an eye on my BP. Interestingly I have not been asked to go for a flu jab this year.

It was very cold in the wood today. I have had some leaning ash trees cut down but have to deal with the brash myself. Even with the fire I was shivering!
23585 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

29th October 2018, 20:10
Hello, Jigjag!
How about "Maghull"
MA for master, g for good, and hull for skin/outer layer ?
Maghull is new to me!
23586 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

29th October 2018, 20:32
Good evening, Rusty!
Well...I am gradually building up a list of cricket terms!
I was fine with "leg" for "on" , having encountered it before!
But "knock" was new to me.......
However, I had worked out that the answer was "innings", so I asked Google whether "knock" was a cricketing term?
Now how's that for resourcefulness?
Cricket is not a sport that I enjoy......although we did play it briefly in the Sixth Form when I was at school.
I never did understand the rules!
I preferred tennis (of course) and rounders, as my Summer sports.
Yes, it's definitely central heating time!
Very cold indeed this evening!
I just opened the patio door to allow the dog out into the garden.......
Brrrh!!
23587 of 30765  -   Report This Post

jigjag

29th October 2018, 20:33
Hello Rusty

I have just returned from the pictures with my son. We saw "First Man" about the Apollo 11 moon landing - good film.

I logged on to give you the answer - to find you had solved it. Very well worked out! It was a hard unfair clue. I knew you would get the first 3 letters but the last 4 could have been hide, peel etc. Maghull is between Liverpool and Ormskirk.

Hello Rosalind

I probably misled you into thinking it was a Wirral station - sorry about that. I think I will let the nurse take my blood pressure. It is always low, so I am not worried, but when they start the machine, I always think my arm is going to explode!

23588 of 30765  -   Report This Post

jigjag

29th October 2018, 20:42
Hello Elle

I am impressed with your cricket knowledge! An innings is sometimes called a knock, either an individual or a team's. The word "dig" is also used for a team's innings, but not an individual one.

The word innings has always puzzled me as it can mean the singular or plural. The Americans, in Baseball, get round this by referring to the singular as "inning", which sounds strange to a cricketer.

I play a lot of cricket, for my club team and County Seniors .

23589 of 30765  -   Report This Post

jigjag

29th October 2018, 20:49
Hello Pigale

Yes you are right. It is Back Pain. I said earlier that I was "Back Painting", so drop the "tin" (can) and the g (good) - gives your problem.

Actually I was getting back pain from painting the skirting borders - nothing like as bad as yours, and it has gone now. Hope you are feeling a bit better
23590 of 30765  -   Report This Post