CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

elle

25th October 2018, 12:57
Good afternoon, Rusty!
We have been having some strangely varying weather here, in that gloves are indeed welcome at 8 o'clock in the morning whilst out walking the dog, ....I wasn't alone in wearing them.........but it can be very warm by afternoon, and a coat not always needed then (let alone gloves!) despite its being virtually the end of October!
How did you get on at the hospital?
Was this a routine check ......or for something new?
I hope all is okay?
Coffee and oatcakes sound good........pass them round!
23471 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

25th October 2018, 13:19
Hello, Elle!
It is a bit warmer here now.
I walked back from the hospital and that warmed me up!
I got on fine there.
Saw my neurologist and we agreed to discharge me.
She will give me an "open appointment" which means if I want to see her at any time in future, I contact her, rather than my GP.
She sent me for some final blood tests, and that was that.
I like coffee and oatcakes.
Think the oatcakes may be healthier than a sticky bun!
23472 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

25th October 2018, 13:45
Hi, Rusty!
Ah, good, I am glad that all is well.
That sounds to be a very sensible arrangement, whereby you are considered 'discharged', but can get in direct contact with the Neurologist herself if the need arises.
Although we shall hope of course that it doesn't.
My husband has a similar arrangement with his Consultant.
Yes, I am pretty sure that oatcakes are a far healthier option than a sticky bun!
I have just had a sausage roll, and broccoli and cauliflower soup....the latter, at least, can be rated healthy!
I am going out for a walk now......back shortly...…..
23473 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rosalind

25th October 2018, 14:07
I no longer have bread in the house, but oatcakes. I think they are very healthy and don't contain additives. Soup and oatcakes is a good lunch!
Is anyone else a part of Biobank? They recruited people ages ago, perhaps 15 years, and took a lot of measurements. Every so often they ask what you ate the day before, or to record exercise etc. It is building into a huge database to be used for research- it's already been very useful. I started with 2 further similar things- one on falls which was never followed up in spite of them asking me questions for most of a morning to begin with and I think one called the Million Women Study to do with breast and other cancers. Don't hear much from them, either.
I've just finished reading "Rabbit Proof Fence" about 3 half-aboriginal girls who were taken from their mothers and put in what sounds like a dreadful institution 1000 miles away from their folk to become more white- only allowed to speak English, terrible food, punishments etc. I cannot believe anyone thought this was a right thing to do. The girls (the oldest 15, the other two younger) decided to leave and walked back (on bare feet) along the fence, eating what they could catch. It is an inspiring book.
23474 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

25th October 2018, 15:04
Hello, Elle!
My neuro suggested this last year, but I was not so sure, but this year it was me who raised the subject of possible discharge, and we took it from there.
I really liked my neuro.
A very friendly, nice, well mannered woman.
We got on very well.
I thought that your husband may have a similar arrangement.

Hello, Rosalind!
My oatcakes are just shop bought ones, but I like them.
Are yours home made?
I saw the film "The Rabbit Proof Fence" and thought it very good.
I did not know there was a book.
23475 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

25th October 2018, 16:41
Hi, Rusty!
Yes, it took us some time to be happy with the idea of a "discharge"......
It is like removing a "comfort blanket", isn't it?
But now the GP does occasional checks (blood tests and xrays), so that offers some degree of reassurance!
Btw, I used to work at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery in Queen Square, London
It is the largest neurological and neurosurgical hospital in the UK, and is a major centre for training and research.
All this was in my youth..... pre children time!
Ah," Those were the days, my friend...."
Mary Hopkin?
The book that Ros was talking about is called "Follow the Rabbit Proof Fence" and is written by Doris Pilkington, the daughter of the eldest of the three girls involved in the story.

Hello, Ros!
I only eat one slice of (brown, seeded) bread a day, on which have my poached egg for breakfast!
I love oatcakes, but I'm not sure about having an egg on an oatcake?!
Maybe I should try it and see.......
Funnily enough , I have been researching "Follow the Rabbit Proof Fence" on Amazon, with a view to ordering it....some one in the park had been talking about it!
It is good to know that you enjoyed it, too, and can also recommend it!
23476 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

25th October 2018, 16:57
Hello, Elle!
Yes, a bit like a comfort blanket!
This is my second neuro.
I had not the slightest confidence in the first one, and requested another one.
My present neuro is/was just perfect!
Yes, I think "The Rabbit Proof Fence" will be a very good read.
What happened to the Aboriginals was often dreadful.
Bill Bryson mentioned quite a bit about it, in "Down Under".
Going to have my tea now, before my son comes to see me!
23477 of 30765  -   Report This Post

jigjag

25th October 2018, 17:12
elle and rusty

I was interested in the Noah knower debate. Up north there is no difference except in certain parts of Lancs ( possibly other areas) where they roll the r, so I think it is fair
23478 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

25th October 2018, 17:57
Hi, Rusty!
I may just catch you before your son arrives......?
I can understand your concern and frustration if you do not have confidence in your hospital Consultant.
You were very wise to ask for a referral.
My husband was very fortunate in all his doctors - physicians and surgeons - including the Oncologist - being extremely kind and helpful, as well as very proficient.
I cannot praise the NHS enough over his treatment.
I think I shall order that book that both Ros, and my friend in the park, recommended....
Hope your tea was good....haven't decided what we shall eat yet......?

Hello, Jigjag!
Yes, that was my viewpoint.... I have lived both in Lancashire and London/ Kent borders, and have never pronounced either word any differently.
You specifically mentioned Lancashire.......
Are you from there?
23479 of 30765  -   Report This Post

jigjag

25th October 2018, 18:17
Hello Elle

Yes I am from Lancs in the sense that I was born there - Liverpool in the County of Lancaster on my birth cert. Well before County re-orgs!

I have lived almost all my life in Cheshire though, although there is a trace of a Scouse accent, picked up from my first 2 years there.

I love the rich accent from around the Blackburn area, not so much the Manchester one. Where did you live in Lancs?
23480 of 30765  -   Report This Post