CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

spoffy

24th June 2020, 13:13
Excellent - and yes, that's absolutely fine as far as I'm concerned.

I've added a post on the Crossword Centre message board.
41 of 123  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

24th June 2020, 13:15
Thank you for that Spoffy. It is much appreciated. I hope that everybody who has commented on this thread will make their views known. I am just about to read through what I drafted earlier and then my email will be on its way.
42 of 123  -   Report This Post

racheldiaz

24th June 2020, 13:46
You have my full support on this. My dad taught me how to tackle the enigma and we look forward to it each Sunday, we also enjoy solving an oldie from the archives just for the fun of it. If the enigma goes then I will cancel my subscription as the enigma is the only reason that I have it in the first place!
43 of 123  -   Report This Post

spoffy

24th June 2020, 14:34
loge - very nice article. I'm delighted to see that the piece is now the subject of a 'sticky' post on fifteensquared.net
44 of 123  -   Report This Post

drxx

24th June 2020, 16:08
You give a good summary of the main points, loge - my email to Chris Lancaster has been sent.
45 of 123  -   Report This Post

son1ofrover1

24th June 2020, 17:48
I will be e-mailing Chris Lancaster this evening.
46 of 123  -   Report This Post

jlc

24th June 2020, 18:52
Good to see this thread has had a lot of responses today. Bravo alwayspuzzled for getting this campaign moving. I'll be emailing The Telegraph too.
47 of 123  -   Report This Post

glasgow

25th June 2020, 09:15
If - as seems to be the general feeling here - the EV is the only reason for subscriptions to/purchases of a paper many people otherwise dislike, then why even campaign to get it continued in the Telegraph?! I’d be surprised if the decision here is being made by the current puzzles editor (and former editor of the EV), but more likely by some procurement team who are only interested in perceived levels of interest and, ultimately, financial viability. And, even if it can be saved at The Telegraph, their requirements/costs are unlikely to change, and are solvers really going to start submitting more entries or commenting more on the blogs?

As I see it, the best future of crosswords in the UK - and particularly niche ones like this - is not being reliant on newspaper owners who largely don’t give a toss about - or, as anyone who has ever tried to solve a Telegraph puzzle on a mobile will tell you, clearly know very little about - crosswords. There’s barely a week that goes by that I’m not fearful of the Inquisitor/i or Independent folding and taking with them some of the best puzzles out there. And this over-reliance on newspapers is always going to be a risk.

As a solving community, we should start thinking about how to decouple the EV series from the paper and relaunch it (or a version of it) as an online subscription service via Patreon, Kickstarter or somesuch. There are plenty of examples of good indie subscription services in the States that offer puzzles of all kinds, both on a subscription and pay-per-puzzle basis. Of course, it all needs to be financially viable from an editorial/setter point of view - and it might mean that some changes are needed at first, e.g. fortnightly puzzles rather than weekly - but, if we truly want to keep up the supply of good thematics out there, we as solvers need to be prepared to support them as independent concerns.
48 of 123  -   Report This Post

spoffy

25th June 2020, 10:37
As far as I'm concerned, the EV is currently not 'niche'; its appearance in a national newspaper gives it mainstream status, albeit at the outer edge. But it's there, and anyone looking at the puzzles page or the puzzles site can have a crack at it. The Telegraph, like it or not, provides context, infrastructure and economy of scale, and if their decision to drop the EV was motivated by direct financial demands then they would have replaced it with a couple of sudoku, which are the finance manager's dream (enormously popular, negligible cost).

The Magpie magazine is a niche, online publication now in its fourteenth year which offers 5 beautifully-presented EV-type puzzles a month, together with editorial, prizes, statistics, leaderboards etc. Why would you want to reinvent that particular type of wheel?

Let's be fair - until this decision was announced there has been a great deal more praise for the EV recently than criticism. I believe that at the moment we should concentrate our efforts on fighting to preserve the EV in its current form where it is readily visible and accessible to crossword solvers, many of whom will not have attempted a barred puzzle...yet!

49 of 123  -   Report This Post

manic mary

25th June 2020, 11:01
I have been attempting the EV for a long time and am horrified at the decision to get rid of it. I often have to have a great deal of help from this thread (not always as I have got better) and it is a part of Sunday, especially when the weather is poor in the dark days of winter.

I have to disagree with the request to make it purely on line as there is something very comforting about a whole page of puzzles, Griddler, GK, Cryptic etc with the EV as the one to keep going back to.

What does it matter how many entries are received? What has that to do with the finance of the paper? How can that be an indication of interest, just because one has finished the puzzle doesn't mean one sends it in, and how many almost finished grids are there lying about living rooms waiting for just another look?

Keep the EV!
50 of 123  -   Report This Post