CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

elle

4th September 2018, 16:26
Hi, Rusty!
Did you have a good walk?
You are lucky to have a Post Office still.....
All ours are gradually being absorbed into a part of a local shop...... the P.O as an independent building seems to be a thing of the past.
W.H. Smiths seem to be the "go to" shops in most areas.
Now, I may be remembering wrongly, but isn't "Anne Shirley" the "Anne of Green Gables" character in L.M Montgomery's book?
But I cannot recall whether she had red hair!
Well remembered!
22711 of 30765  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th September 2018, 16:34
Hi elle
Our PO got moved into a local "do-it-all" shop some time ago. At least we still have one!

btw I still read most of the Swallows and Amazons books regularly. I can't think of any other "children's books" I still read, though.
22712 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

4th September 2018, 16:40
Hello, Elle!
My Post Office is part of a small supermarket.
But I only use it if I have a parcel to post.
Seems to be fairly busy though.
Here is Anne Shirley, if the link works!
http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2029961_2029964_2029893,00.html
She is in the Top Ten Redheads list!

22713 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

4th September 2018, 16:51
Hello, Elle!
My link did not work!
Anyway, Anne Shirley was "Anne of Green Gables".
She dreamed of having "nut-brown hair" instead of her red hair.
There were several books written about her.
22714 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

4th September 2018, 16:56
Hello, Elle!
Try this link and maybe it will work!
https://girlwithherheadinabook.co.uk/2017/01/top-ten-redheads-in-literature-and-mythology.html
22715 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

4th September 2018, 18:26
Hi, Rusty!
It looks as though the abolition of bona-fide (in an independent building) POs is nationwide!
I had already discovered that your first link did not work, but by then had assumed that Anne Shirley must also be an actress/ film star, as well as the main character in a book, so I looked her up on Google.
I see that the actress took her stage name from the heroine "Anne Shirley" ...she of Green Gables!
And yes, your second link works well......so I read through that - I found it very interesting......and also tracked "Anne" down in that article, too!
Btw.....you and Miss O'H (I'm not sure if either of your sons is a redhead?) are in very famous / notorious company!!

Hello, Chris!
What about Winnie - the- Pooh?
I have the complete boxed collection
(Bought for me as an adult....)
22716 of 30765  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th September 2018, 18:42
Hi elle
I used to read them to my daughter when she was little (trying to do lots of accents), but I haven't read them since. Perhaps I should! I did think that a lot of the fun went over the heads of children....
22717 of 30765  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th September 2018, 18:46
My wife first read them as an adult. She remembers meeting an acquaitance in the streets of Cambdridge (where we were both students), who suddenly said "Three cheers for Pooh". She was able to respond immediately "For who? Why, what did he do?".
22718 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

4th September 2018, 18:51
Hello, Elle!
I am rarely at a PO.
The one near me is perfectly fine.
I do not know the actress, Anne Shirley.
I liked Anne of Green Gables though.
Several new words for me in the puzzle today.
11a, 24a, 26a, 4d,.
Good puzzle, though!
22719 of 30765  -   Report This Post

kenyatta

4th September 2018, 19:48
The village in which I live has four, 20 minute, visits per week from a Mobile PO. All normal services are provided.
The PO located in the local WHS has closed; as has the shop.
22720 of 30765  -   Report This Post