CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

wigwam

30th June 2020, 17:48
Simplesimon, if you're still around the Magpie magazine also published (updated) it's own clue guide for setters recently, can be found here:

https://www.piemag.com/submissions/

There's also an EV one (they're all quite similar, as someone mentioned the community is relatively overlapping and quite incestuous) which I could send to an email address if you're interested.

In terms of aspirations for getting something published, some sound advice I received on the matter was to try and reach out to the Magpie or (particularly in current circumstances) the EV. In terms of potential turnover, the Magpie publishes five barred puzzles a month, while the EV has just had a bit of a reset in its backlog due to the potential discontinuation and are absolutely crying out for puzzle submissions at the minute.

I'm mostly at the same stage as you (have just sent off my first attempt at a creation for assessment) and won't be the best/most rigorous test solver, but if you'd like someone to bounce ideas off I'd be happy to have someone to do the same with.
151 of 170  -   Report This Post

wigwam

30th June 2020, 17:51
A double post, but what was the general verdict on moving the 'U'? I've left it be and extended my line into the final cell, but as there's nothing specified I can't imagine there's a fixed single solution to this.

I'd have expected a "one entry is modified and is not a real word" or something similar if movement was required, or at least that's what I'm hoping is a legitimate thought process(!)
152 of 170  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

30th June 2020, 18:55
Wigwam. Thank you for your response. I looked at the “ Listen with others” site, really interesting. Still not sure how, or whom, to approach through that route. Similarly, the Listener site for submissions indicates the editors do not wish to discuss individual questions. We’re still at the ideas stage but need clarification on whether our idea(s) have been used before. Certainly don’t want to waste whatever time we have left, rather use it for solving! So stymied at present until your useful suggestion. We’re not familiar with either Magpie or EV, but more than happy to give it a go! Would welcome website or email addresses or, even better, a live person to talk to. Many thanks.
153 of 170  -   Report This Post

son1ofrover1

30th June 2020, 18:56
I moved it as per the preamble, i.e. 'U must escape...ending up...'
154 of 170  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

30th June 2020, 19:02
Wigwam. We decided to relocate the “U” into its final position as we interpreted the preamble as requiring the prisoner to escape each room, thus transiting the required pathway. This meant leaving the original site blank. Your interpretation is equally valid of course..
155 of 170  -   Report This Post

wigwam

30th June 2020, 19:42
I'm inclined to agree with both of you, just slightly hung up on the absence of a "mutilated entry" indicator. Will duly shift the U after some tip-ex.

Simplesimon, to avoid cluttering the thread further I'd be happy to have a chat through email. If you'd like to drop me a note at wubskis [at] gmail [dot] com I'd be happy to offer what advice and pointing to relevant places and people I can.

Hopefully spam bots are still not smart enough to pick up the email address there, if not then I've got some deleting to do in my future...
156 of 170  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

30th June 2020, 20:18
Wigwam, Roger that.
157 of 170  -   Report This Post

lilith

1st July 2020, 08:55
simplesimon@153

>> We’re still at the ideas stage but need clarification on whether our idea(s) have been used before.

You could try searching in Dave Henning's crossword database.

xwdb.info

Lil
158 of 170  -   Report This Post

galfridus

1st July 2020, 14:19
Hello Brendan,
Many thanks for taking the trouble to respond to my anguished plea. With your help I should be able to move forward.
159 of 170  -   Report This Post

brendan

1st July 2020, 15:44
Glad to help Galfridus, it's a really good puzzle so well worth sticking with:-)
160 of 170  -   Report This Post