CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

26th July 2024, 16:01
The clues...
Requests for help should normally include the clue itself, the number of letters in the answer and details of any you already have. Any additional information or special instructions, common in Listener puzzles, should also be included.
Hints only, please, no answers.

The theme...
Help towards the theme may also be sought and given here. The help should be on the gentle side, just a nudge, a pointer in the right direction - enough to help a struggling solver, not so much that it spoils the puzzle for others.
Any posts which reveal too much of the theme are likely to be removed.

Although many regulars frequent these Listener threads, newcomers are always welcome.

The Listener is a unique puzzle and should be treated with respect.
1 of 41  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

26th July 2024, 17:14
Much easier one this week. Can't immediately see the final step however. Hopefully not one of those where the endgame grid staring takes longer than the grid fill.....
2 of 41  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

26th July 2024, 17:26
Crikey! That hardly touched the sides; all done in under an hour. Neatly constructed, though. Thanks, Opsimath.
3 of 41  -   Report This Post

woodlouse

26th July 2024, 17:40
Jack,

I hope you agree this and yesterday's Spectator were chalk and cheese.

There were plenty of fairly easy clues but this would be an ideal introduction to the Listener for someone who can solve the Spectator regularly.
4 of 41  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

26th July 2024, 17:43
Absolutely, Woodlouse. My post was an expression of surprise rather than criticism. Given the goings on in Paris, this is a good weekend to have an entry level puzzle.
5 of 41  -   Report This Post

jbird54

26th July 2024, 18:11
smellyharry - It isn't a long grid-stare IMO - good luck!
6 of 41  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

26th July 2024, 19:54
Indeed, SH. If you have one or two of the thematic answers early doors, it’s a gimme once you have the first bits of the instructions, But, I repeat, despite not being a great struggle, it’s very neatly done and deserves admiration.
7 of 41  -   Report This Post

cypherhouse

26th July 2024, 20:24
Thank goodness the easier ones line up so nicely with my busiest weekends! Fun quick fill and approachable endgame. Thanks Opsimath!
8 of 41  -   Report This Post

rhsl

26th July 2024, 23:42
I agree with Jack and others about this being straightforward but neatly composed.
9 of 41  -   Report This Post

brendan

27th July 2024, 01:53
Thanks to Opsimath for a gentle but still fun challenge.

That's 2 weeks in a row now that I've been a fan of the theme:-)
10 of 41  -   Report This Post