CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

twit

7th July 2024, 15:08
On the wee debate about 20D,'I 'relieved myself' would clearly mean I 'p***' , but there is no 'myself' in the clue - the surface reading wouldn't really work with that added. I relieved on its own does not mean I 'p***' - relieved what? I was relieved on the other hand means I experienced some relief. And I'm sure we've all been there. ;)
61 of 73  -   Report This Post

jono

7th July 2024, 15:33
“wee debate” like it! 😂
62 of 73  -   Report This Post

micky

7th July 2024, 23:36
In the perhaps very unlikely event that someone other than me is still around, can anyone help me with my last two?

For 20d the middle 4 letters are obvious, and the first one fairly clear, but for the last one I have two possibilities, one of which fits "round", but doesn't seem to make the word mean "in a bit of a dash", and the other makes perfect sense of "in a bit of a dash", but I can't see that it has anything to do with "round".

For 27a I have no idea, even after reading the hints in this forum. It seems it must be something I've never heard of, perhaps in both meanings. Can anyone give me a really BIG hint?
63 of 73  -   Report This Post

quisling

7th July 2024, 23:50
Micky, dash is also a short word for a longer car part, so the letter that fits round is correct.

For 27a you’re looking for a kitchen implement. You’d probably expect it to be 6,7, rather than all one word. Might help with an omelette
64 of 73  -   Report This Post

quisling

7th July 2024, 23:52
Sorry, 6,6, not 6,7. I was doing it from memory, rather badly
65 of 73  -   Report This Post

micky

8th July 2024, 00:18
Thanks, Quisling. I hadn't thought of that meaning of "dash", but of course I should have; it's so obvious now you've pointed it out. 27a became blindingly obvious once you gave me the 6,6 split, so thanks for both bits of help. 👍
66 of 73  -   Report This Post

pamd

8th July 2024, 08:04
Is anyone still around to offer any help with my last two, 17d or 24a? 2nd word of 17d seems obvious but I can't get further.
67 of 73  -   Report This Post

pamd

8th July 2024, 08:05
Is anyone still around to offer any help with my last two, 17d or 24a? 2nd word of 17d seems obvious but I can't get further.
68 of 73  -   Report This Post

pamd

8th July 2024, 08:08
Apologies for duplicate post ... slow connection problems.
69 of 73  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th July 2024, 08:30
Hi Pamd,

17d - Is a double definition, the first is "quickly produce" as in someone quickly making something under time pressure and the second is "one outstandingly attractive" as in 'he/she is a real stunner' or a ????? ???

24a - Another double definition, first is (a tool) that "digs" and a 3 letter slang term for a for a "guitar" that follows the first 4 letter word meaning "best" as in the best of the bunch)
70 of 73  -   Report This Post