CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

6th July 2024, 17:23
Rogissimo, re 24d, if you mean the first letter, Chambers gives it as an abbreviation for a four letter prefix which defines a specific small measurement.
41 of 73  -   Report This Post

geeker

6th July 2024, 17:27
Good point, jono. Agreed.
42 of 73  -   Report This Post

darla

6th July 2024, 19:50
Thanks, jono. That’s what I had too.
43 of 73  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th July 2024, 19:51
Thanks Twit, but I still don't see it. I could say "I p???" or "I relieved myself" but never "I was relieved" (that means something else entirely, at least in my experience!!)
44 of 73  -   Report This Post

rocky7

6th July 2024, 22:56
After watching this debate all day long I have gone both ways. Originally because I got the answer quickly once I solved my issue with 15a, I didn't think there was a problem. But now I think I'm well and truly with Brendan on this. And btw this is why I love both crosswords and this forum. I'd love it if Imogen came on here and gave us a steer.
45 of 73  -   Report This Post

minno

6th July 2024, 23:27
Re. 20d. Well, I'll spring my reaction to you all in public. Isn't it a reflexive? And as everyone knows one shouldn't xxx into the wind.
46 of 73  -   Report This Post

roof

6th July 2024, 23:28
Hi everyone

As expected I started really late this week and discovered that it was another difficult one. I was optimistic when I got 1ac straight away. I even got 4d very early, but still can't parse it. Similarly, I guessed 12ac, but couldn't see why it was the answer. I've worked it out now. There are several others that I'm sure are right, but I can't parse them. As a gardener, I knew 18d, but there were several I didn't know including 14d (where I cheated). I got the second half of 13ac, but as I don't play golf, I couldn't think of the first half. I didn't know 27ac, but google confirmed it - Brendan I didn't know where you lived in London. I finally finished about 9.30pm having managed to avoid the football.

FOI was 1ac, LOI was 18ac (I still can't parse it) and COD was 8d.

47 of 73  -   Report This Post

minno

6th July 2024, 23:37
In order to jot down pun. That was about the same time the Swiss goal keeper managed to avoid the football. Just the once. Ho, hum.
48 of 73  -   Report This Post

minno

6th July 2024, 23:40
Or the English keeper managed to not avoid the football. Credit where credit is due.
49 of 73  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

7th July 2024, 00:35
Thanks jono. My thought processes (such as they were) re 24d were the same as geeker’s, and I was equally unsatisfied. Thanks to you I now see it (but I’m still not entirely happy). Ah well!
50 of 73  -   Report This Post