CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jazzgirl

2nd September 2023, 09:29
Thanks jono. Just seen the theme
I cannot parse the whole of 3d.
Having problems posting due to long delay with the captchas, so will sign off
21 of 75  -   Report This Post

jono

2nd September 2023, 09:37
Jazz, when you look back in, “bases” in a down clue is saying to look for last letters…
22 of 75  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

2nd September 2023, 09:41
Jono, thanks again. Feeling rather thick not having seen that !
23 of 75  -   Report This Post

chrise

2nd September 2023, 10:15
finally managed to construct 7d. one look didn't know it!
saw the theme once i was tipped off.
18a a bit feeble, and 16 and 26d a bit gk - also 31 to some extent.
qaos is high on my "don't bother with" list.
24 of 75  -   Report This Post

neko99

2nd September 2023, 10:33
Hi Jazzgirl and Jono. Thanks for so much help! All done. :)
25 of 75  -   Report This Post

davel

2nd September 2023, 10:57
I thought this was great. Tougher than usual for a prize, but easier than usual for Qaos. Loads of good clues, with simpler ones scattered about the grid to get you started. I’ll go with 3 for my COD (also my LOI), but liked many more.
Totally missed the theme though. Ah well.
Thanks to Qaos.
26 of 75  -   Report This Post

geeker

2nd September 2023, 11:04
Forgot about Qaos and theme. Made a cursory theme search upon filling the grid but missed it. The pair (29, 3) is funny in that regard!
27 of 75  -   Report This Post

rocky7

2nd September 2023, 12:45
So, all finished and a really enjoyable but tough solve in parts. Thanks to Qaos. Come again.

Still can't parse 6d or 14d yet. The theme is very much in my line of work, or was at any rate. Can't believe I didn't see it earlier.

COD (and there were a few candidates) 10a.

Brendan presumably you are staring at the table on the BBC website at least until 5pm.
28 of 75  -   Report This Post

richardk

2nd September 2023, 12:57
6d splits 3,7 so perhaps look at the last 7 letters and see if there's a word to be made from them if you added a bit at the front. Can't say more without spoilering.

14d is convoluted! Issue = offspring if that helps. Then it's a juggling act of sorts to take a liitle bit out and put a little bit in.

Qaos is my favourite setter. If there's ever an argument for that dubious "on my wavelength" assertion, Qaos would be my exhibit A.
29 of 75  -   Report This Post

rocky7

2nd September 2023, 13:10
Thanks RichardK. These slightly convoluted parses are what I like about Qaos but you can't always see them.
30 of 75  -   Report This Post