CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malarky

12th July 2020, 22:20
And immediately after writing my post I worked out my mistake. Got it now.
Good puzzle overall. Agreed it contained a good deal of humour this week.
21 of 32  -   Report This Post

olderwoman

14th July 2020, 17:54
Am I too late to ask for help? My Observer is in quarantine until today and I have read through all your remarks but no help with the ones I havent got yet. You all seem to enjoy 18 a but I've tried an anagram of apricot lover and a synonym for unlikely and no joy. i haven't got 16 or 17 d either so if anyone picks up this cry for help, a tip or two would be much appreciated. Thanks.
22 of 32  -   Report This Post

malone

14th July 2020, 18:04
Evening, Olderwoman. It's always good to give the clues - some of us would love to help but don't have a copy of the puzzle.
23 of 32  -   Report This Post

brendan

14th July 2020, 18:06
Hi Olderwoman (Mrs Robinson?)

18a is indeed an anagram - try this site:-

https://anagram-solver.net/

16d definition is "excuses" and is E(uropean) + 9 letter word for "attacks" minus "IN" from the clue.

17d another anagram - look very carefully at the end of the clue...
24 of 32  -   Report This Post

brendan

14th July 2020, 18:18
Hi Malone,

18a Unlikely apricot-lover? (12)

16d Excuses given by European missing in attack (8)

17d Spies ill prepared... (8)
25 of 32  -   Report This Post

malone

14th July 2020, 18:46
Thanks, Brendan. I looked the clues up online, but your hints had appeared by the time I'd done that.
26 of 32  -   Report This Post

kitabu

15th July 2020, 12:24
Having trouble with two of the clues and would appreciate some help please!

13A. We're told alternatively a conservative has debts or works. Oratories. I'm assuming 'we're told' is the definition Or (alternatively) followed by conservative (tories) but can't fit in 'has debts or works'. Where have I gone wrong?

17D. Spies ill prepared. Ellipses. Presumably ellipses (anagram) of spies ill but shouldn't there also be a definition?

Many thanks.

27 of 32  -   Report This Post

brendan

15th July 2020, 12:32
Hi Kitabu,

13a the definition is "works" and most of the whole clue is a series of homophones:-

"alternatively" = OR + A TORI (conservative) + OS has debts/owes

17d. the definition is the the three dots at the end of the clue - an "ellipsis"
28 of 32  -   Report This Post

kitabu

15th July 2020, 12:37
Many thanks Brendan - that's put me out of my misery! By the way may I say how much I enjoy your weekly appraisals of the Everyman crossword - always an illuminating read.
29 of 32  -   Report This Post

brendan

15th July 2020, 12:39
Thanks very much Kitabu, much appreciated:-)
30 of 32  -   Report This Post