CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

plodder

22nd February 2012, 13:41
Having solved the wine clue I am stuck with 16a I have word for back of skull starting with 'O' but no reference to 'animal' or a word for an animal starting with E but no skull connection that I can see. Any explanations please.?
Having returned to RT and its cryptic after some years, I find it very challenging now, whereas it used to be mainly TV progs and characters with a few anags and fairly easy.
21 of 63  -   Report This Post

navigator

22nd February 2012, 13:59
Thanks for your help, Jazzgirl.
Finished at last.Very annoyed
with myself about my 9a lapse.
Best wishes,
N
22 of 63  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

22nd February 2012, 14:00
welcome back plodder.
Hope you had a good time down at the wine store ;)
16a medical name for back of the skull.
The first 3 letters are pronounced as "ox".
23 of 63  -   Report This Post

plodder

22nd February 2012, 14:27
Thank you jazzgirl I would never have thought of pronouncing it that way. The majestic wine visit sadly was only in my imagination but if I could find a wine magazine with a cryptic in it, what a great excuse ' I am researching a crossword clue', much better than walking the dog each night passed the pub.!! i have been following your forum for the last month or so, and you all clearly enjoy your crosswording and each others on-line company.Long may it continue.
24 of 63  -   Report This Post

mondrian

22nd February 2012, 15:28
Am feeling quite pleased with myself - crossword actually finished with no help apart from Dictionary. This must be a first for me as it is only Wednesday and I usually need nearly the whole week to complete. Was it easier this week? Please say `no`!! Whatever am I going to do till next Tuesday!

Welcome to Raymond and the new French resident (though I think I may have welcomed you previously) and anyone else who is new.

Jazz girl - I was going to ask for an explanation for the old soldier clue but you have already answered my query. Thanks. Also though I got 17Down I couldn`t work out the relevance of some parts of the clue till this lunchtime when the penny dropped and I realised how clever the clue was.

Keep getting well Old gal, Navigator and Mr Pipesmoker.
25 of 63  -   Report This Post

magworth

22nd February 2012, 15:39
Mondrian - I thought it was harder this week.I took ages to get 1d and and it was only after seeing the Forum that I got 7ac. M.
26 of 63  -   Report This Post

butterfly

22nd February 2012, 16:40
I too thought it was harder this week - still stuck on 5 which is unusual for me. Thanks to Jazzgirl for 7a though as I had that wrong but even with her help can't work out 15a, 16a, 20a, 23a & 19d. Will have to do some 'googling' as I don't like to be beaten!!
27 of 63  -   Report This Post

butterfly

22nd February 2012, 17:02
Have just worked out 2 of them - of course it would help if my spelling was right. Still working on the others.
28 of 63  -   Report This Post

butterfly

22nd February 2012, 17:13
All done now - could kick myself over 20a - it was so obvious that I just couldn't see it.
29 of 63  -   Report This Post

cantersue

22nd February 2012, 17:41
Thanks Jazzgirl for unravelling 8a for me. Couldn't decide whether "on board" referred to inclusion or adding SS somehow.
30 of 63  -   Report This Post