CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

muraria

13th February 2022, 08:32
Morning all,
Have the 25 extra words, 17 defined words, and 20 cells but nothing yet on the symbols or theme. The eight words have an obvious synonym but blowed if I can see how it relates to the logo, or whatever it's meant to be?
1 of 24  -   Report This Post

loge

13th February 2022, 08:36
Look at the removed letters as they appear in the grid, Muraria.
2 of 24  -   Report This Post

muraria

13th February 2022, 09:22
D'oh, many thanks Loge, I was looking for something far more obtuse! Classic case of Occam's Razor I think!
All best...
3 of 24  -   Report This Post

loge

13th February 2022, 09:27
It took me ages to think to look at those letters, Muraria. Until then I was thinking that this puzzle was a serious case of GWIT. I should have known better; Ifor can always be trusted to play fair and this is a superb puzzle.
4 of 24  -   Report This Post

muraria

13th February 2022, 09:42
I agree, Loge, a lovely construction, full of wit and artifice! Certainly had me going down a few different fox-holes....
5 of 24  -   Report This Post

andyp

13th February 2022, 11:22
thanks to muraria i now know whats going on (and am kicking myself)! However im not clear what symbols are meant to be inserted.

I also havent sorted the remaining 8 extra words - only 6 of them.

Please can someone help with where extra word in 6d, 38 and 39, along with the parsing of 6a, 31a, 34a, 36a, 5d, 21d.

6 of 24  -   Report This Post

andyp

13th February 2022, 11:27
ive just realised what the symbols would be - and not that this is a prize xword, but would there necessarily be a "right" answer here?
7 of 24  -   Report This Post

loge

13th February 2022, 11:35
As far as I know there's no definitive picture of the item in question so I guess the symbols rely on your imagination!

The extra word in 6d ties in with what's left of 11 and the one in 39 is one of the 8. There isn't one in 39.
8 of 24  -   Report This Post

cranberryboat

13th February 2022, 12:50
andyp,

31a 4-word definition; abbreviation for "cases" with a "rule" around it, all reversed
34a obsolete definition (x "before"), ; abbreviation and last letter ("finally"), all reversed
5d first letter, then abbreviation for "in English"
21d anagram ("runs out") of all of: second word + final letter ("in the end") + abbreviation for "money"

6a I can't parse either - any help?
And 36a I get an extra word ("fell") that doesn't seem like it should be, so struggling there too.

A fantastic puzzle, though. I obliterated the letters with large dark 'symbols' and coloured the background appropriately, though I guess that there are different interpretations. Thanks Ifor!
9 of 24  -   Report This Post

loge

13th February 2022, 13:06
6 across is an obsolete form of god (definition 4 in Chambers) + word for "to a total" that could follow add or sum.

in 36 fell is, I think, an anagram indicator
10 of 24  -   Report This Post