CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

tatters

9th May 2020, 22:52
Thanks chaps!
31 of 38  -   Report This Post

granama1

10th May 2020, 08:49
I'm interested in what solvers have entered in the 4th square down in column 1. It's unchecked and really only one letter seems to fit but what does the result have to do with the weapon? (Have I made a mistake?).
I do have a problem with the source. Can you really prepare the 'weapon' in its current state? I would have thought many hours at ambient temperature were required before final preparation.
32 of 38  -   Report This Post

lexawkward

11th May 2020, 15:25
Granama1, I was stuck on this too, until I reread the preamble: “move a weapon from its container”. The weapon being only one word, four letters rather than (4,3) as I originally thought. That should help fill in the 4th square down in column 1 and confirm the last three letters of 9dwn
33 of 38  -   Report This Post

granama1

11th May 2020, 16:11
Thanks Lexawkward. I moved the four letter weapon twice as needed to achieve the necessary results but it left me with a four letter word with the third letter unchecked. There's only one letter that fits easily (e) unless I have erred. It doesn't appear thematic and the letter could also be a or e to produce something that is in Chambers. It seems unlikely that the setter would leave it with three options so I wondered if I had got something wrong.
34 of 38  -   Report This Post

malone

11th May 2020, 16:21
Granama, aren't you left with a seven-letter word, a real word, when you take the weapon away? It's the 'container'....
35 of 38  -   Report This Post

granama1

11th May 2020, 16:34
Doh! Thanks Malone. I was misreading the preamble and missed the bit about only clued entries needed to be real words and was trying to make the container into two words, the second being the anatomical source of the weapon. Doh! again.
I still query whether it's reasonable to take it from the container and prepare it withought a lengthy period at ambient temperature. That's a gastronomic quibble though (:o)
36 of 38  -   Report This Post

malone

11th May 2020, 16:37
Glad I could help, Granama. There was a lot of wording, meaning, to keep track of!
37 of 38  -   Report This Post

granama1

11th May 2020, 16:47
True, but I think this lockdown is turning my brain to jam. By the time it's over I suspect my IQ will be about 12! Even reading the preamble to Azed 2500 left me confused and I'm v fond of Azeds. (:o(
38 of 38  -   Report This Post