CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

drxx

9th May 2020, 20:21
sorry if I haven't explained it very well.

Some of the down answers have a blank square at the top when the grid is filled - so LED (def 'under control') starts at the second square of 7d.
When you've filled in all of the entries you'll see that there are only four letters entered in the top row - when you add the 'newly arrived group' (9 letters) you must avoid creating any new words in down entries. You'll then see there are four blank squares left, and when you put the 'weapon' (in normal order) into these four squares you'll make new words for the four remaining entries.

I hope this helps if you go back to the puzzle, brendan.
21 of 38  -   Report This Post

drxx

9th May 2020, 20:32
I think Dysart has been rather unhelpful in not showing the answer lengths - so it's not possible to see where the gaps are likely to fall (unlike Shark's IQ puzzle where you immediately see the discrepancy between the answer lengths and the spaces available).
22 of 38  -   Report This Post

brendan

9th May 2020, 20:57
Thanks Drxx, I really appreciate your efforts but I'm going to have to admit defeat on this one. I've got the weapon in the freezer, and I know it has to be moved to the top row among the policemen, but the preamble says to move it somewhere else first and "heed the instruction" - it's this bit, along with the "victim's final position" that I don't get.
23 of 38  -   Report This Post

ginge

9th May 2020, 21:02
Hi brendan, I've emailed you with the mechanics.
24 of 38  -   Report This Post

drxx

9th May 2020, 21:08
First the murder weapon must be used (on the opposite side of the grid) so you must 'D... P...' with it.
P... will then keel over so that only his lower extremity is in that column (and new words will be formed in the bottom right corner).
Now dispose of the 'murder weapon'.
25 of 38  -   Report This Post

drxx

9th May 2020, 21:11
...you were not there when I started composing my effort, ginge (sadly).
26 of 38  -   Report This Post

brendan

9th May 2020, 21:17
Thanks Drxx, you and Ginge have the patience of a saint:-)
27 of 38  -   Report This Post

tatters

9th May 2020, 22:11
So should I have 4 empty cells in col 1 and 10 in col 13 - or have I lost the plot?
28 of 38  -   Report This Post

ginge

9th May 2020, 22:32
Hi tatters, yes to the first but as to the second ? :o)
29 of 38  -   Report This Post

brendan

9th May 2020, 22:32
That's it Tatters.
30 of 38  -   Report This Post