CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

redpete

20th October 2024, 11:50
Thanks havermonkey and Chrise, I'll try a little harder.
"nick" could be dint or dent couldn't it?
51 of 72  -   Report This Post

redpete

20th October 2024, 11:58
PDM for 25, never studied Latin, too much of a nerd!
52 of 72  -   Report This Post

roof

20th October 2024, 12:36
Hi again everyone

I got back from the theatre last night and filled in the last few, though I didn't know the word for 5ac and can't parse the "nick" in 25ac, but perhaps I have the wrong first letter. (just checked the alternative first letter, which is right) My chemistry A level is too far back in time! And I never did any Latin at school, but did some during lockdown. I'd never heard of 27ac, but it must be right (do you like the pun?). I can't parse 1d completely. Where does the "see" come in? I'd never heard 17ac before and didn't know 4d. I couldn't see the "scriptures" in 21d.

So some easy clues, some harder clues and some downright obtuse clues, e.g. 14d.

My FOI was 15ac closely followed by 3D - a new meaning to me. My LOI was 5ac or 23/8d - they came together. My COD is 13d, though there were a number of close contenders.

Rocky7, so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. It is hard to bear.
53 of 72  -   Report This Post

dhope

20th October 2024, 13:14
Yes RedPete you are right nick is synonym for dent or dint , using dint leaves “final word” . It is a well known word even to those (like me) who didn’t study Latin.
54 of 72  -   Report This Post

nelliegee

20th October 2024, 13:24
I have almost got there, with one niggling exception. I can't figure 26a, and have d?r?t? crossers. There are only two possible words that fit so I must have gone wrong somewhere.
FOI 4d. Misspent youth.
I'd never heard of 27a either.
55 of 72  -   Report This Post

swarbrules

20th October 2024, 13:32
Nelliegee

Your 16d is wrong.
56 of 72  -   Report This Post

grum

20th October 2024, 13:42
Havermonkey, so the 'last word' is not an English term- not having the benefit of a classical eduction I had to Google this to check it's meaning. That element is inside a word meaning 'nick'. Which is very similar but not quite the word mentioned by chrise. At least that's how I'd parse it.
There are two chemical terms which could fit and, as I understand, could both be used of copper. These words are the same apart from the first letter. The first letter is determined by 'nick'.
That's my understanding anyway.
57 of 72  -   Report This Post

nelliegee

20th October 2024, 13:58
Thanks Swarbrules
58 of 72  -   Report This Post

minno

20th October 2024, 14:11
Playbus says 26a is new one for them. I can't see anything. Any hints?

Ps. Got 27 by accident as I put in the word with "ious" for promises and a Times for Times answer popped up coincidentally on the Google précis with the correct word included. There was a reference to the word I was fishing for on archive.org which had the exact same meaning but didn't seem to lead anywhere when clicked on. Hmmm!
59 of 72  -   Report This Post

havermonkey

20th October 2024, 14:55
Thanks grum. I got there but not a satisfying PDM as I didn't know the term! Ah well.

Minno - for 26a you're looking for a very specific item of female attire. Think beyond UK.
60 of 72  -   Report This Post