CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

edc

1st September 2024, 01:59
Well, that was a bit different. A quick one but I think I enjoyed it.
1 of 19  -   Report This Post

daz

1st September 2024, 02:05
I just opened an Everyman 4063 thread (and posted there) before now seeing yours. What shall we do?
2 of 19  -   Report This Post

daz

1st September 2024, 02:06
I will try to shut down the second Everyman 4063 thread that I opened before seeing this one. Meanwhile, this was my post there:

This was a bit tougher than average, and I had to confirm 17A by googling since I had never heard this term before (although it somehow sounds quintessentially British).

I also had a heckuva time solving 1A, with a big Ohhhhhh when the answer finally dawned. And likewise, it took me a long time to see the reason for 2D.

Also two answer with (non-U.S.) British spellings slowed me down a bit (but not too long).

There are numerous good clues. But far too many throwaway clues that do the wordplay and definition correctly, but don't bother to have a coherent surface meaning. Or, if you strain your imagination, you might be able to just barely imagine the scenario depicted by the clue.

I suggest that people here may enjoy the large cache of themeless cryptics that can be found at https://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/puzzles/cru/. These generally display what it means to take the trouble to make a coherent β€” not herky-jerky β€” surface sense.

These were produced by students in a yearslong workshop by Emily Cox and Henry Rathvon, puzzlemakers extraordinaire, who for many years wrote the cryptic for The Atlantic magazine, and now write the cryptic for the Wall Street Journal (imho a truly terrible newspaper if you consider its editorials, but it has good puzzles).
3 of 19  -   Report This Post

hamptonian

1st September 2024, 02:07
A mixed bag. A couple of clever anagrams alongside some lame efforts among the shorter entries.
4 of 19  -   Report This Post

geeker

1st September 2024, 02:18
Thanks to Everyman. Tougher than usual, perhaps a mixed bag.
Unusually I couldn't finish!
Can't see 20 despite being certain of crossers _H_T_M
I'll look at it again tomorrow (US time).
5 of 19  -   Report This Post

edc

1st September 2024, 02:21
R and B
6 of 19  -   Report This Post

daz

1st September 2024, 02:25
geeker: Hint: that word has only one vowel.
7 of 19  -   Report This Post

geeker

1st September 2024, 02:53
Oh, thanks! As a jazz (bebop) fan, I've heard the related tune's chord changes more times than I can count. I identify it so much with bop that R/B didn't come to mind. 😬
8 of 19  -   Report This Post

ianwil

1st September 2024, 09:19
How do you parse the first 4 letters of 6d?
9 of 19  -   Report This Post

jono

1st September 2024, 09:23
It’s two subtractions from a word in the clue.
10 of 19  -   Report This Post