CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

krauton

23rd July 2024, 18:59
Crossword centre July Special Puzzle: Mate in Two by the Badger

Wa(i)ter holds these colonists of Australia on return for manifold evil confinement (8)

Power to banish saint from Rosslyn Chapel’s dusty source of r(o)ods (7)

In the above clues the letters in brackets are extra.

Thanks
1 of 25  -   Report This Post

drxx

23rd July 2024, 19:54
hydra is 'manifest evil' + shortening of 'of' + the usual 2 letters for Australia (reversed) inside.
Scots for 'dusty' (replacing the opening st/'saint' with arm/'power').
2 of 25  -   Report This Post

drxx

23rd July 2024, 19:55
...'rods' in the def is American slang.
3 of 25  -   Report This Post

krauton

23rd July 2024, 20:33
Thanks
4 of 25  -   Report This Post

quisling

24th July 2024, 08:38
I thought this was a marvellous puzzle. Difficult, certainly, but most ingenious. I am hesitant about the penultimate step. The preamble says that the side to move next is determinable from the gridfill. This is a pretty broad hint, but I don't see it

More worryingly, I can't get the entry for b4 to work. If I am correct, it must be occupied, but I need one of the squares it can move to to be a capture on a3, and that is unclued, which suggests it must be empty.

Everything else works, so i feel I can't be far away, but it's niggling me.
5 of 25  -   Report This Post

drxx

24th July 2024, 09:04
A grid-stare should help with your first problem, quisling, and I have the piece at b4 working with an empty square at a3.
I agree with you, I think this is an ingenious puzzle and a brilliant use of the theme. A puzzle that should have been a Listener, I think.
One slight quibble - did it have to be so difficult (and unfairly so, perhaps)?
6 of 25  -   Report This Post

quisling

24th July 2024, 09:44
Thank you so much, drxx. Your reply kills both birds with one stone. If I have it right, the puzzle is even more fiendish than I previously imagined. But then, I’m no real chess player.

It would have been in the top three Listeners of the year, for sure, and was deserving of a wider audience, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.
7 of 25  -   Report This Post

drxx

24th July 2024, 10:01
Yes, 'fiendish' is a better assessment (I do tend to harp on about fairness} and I'm very pleased you got to see the puzzle, quisling - high praise indeed, coming from you. Well done the Badger!
8 of 25  -   Report This Post

krauton

24th July 2024, 11:27
I do not understand part of the instructions:

Squares with WHITE or BLACK letters contain pieces of the respective colour; otherwise, they contain no piece.

Thanks
9 of 25  -   Report This Post

drxx

24th July 2024, 12:16
To show the colour of a particular piece enter the letter in that square in either black ink or, if it's a white piece, as an outlined/hollow letter; then choose another colour for the other letters (well, that's what I think it means, krauton).
The way answers are entered is enough to identify the pieces they represent, so no pictoral representation required (or any other indicator, come to that).
10 of 25  -   Report This Post