CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sam73

23rd July 2024, 21:57
Adjustment to 40.

Nurse at work with no electricity just plenty of gas (6)
41 of 63  -   Report This Post

geting

24th July 2024, 16:24
Sixth in the Sun's line-up, reporter has his bottom pinched by tiddly aunts (6)

probably a down clue
42 of 63  -   Report This Post

geeker

24th July 2024, 16:44
Samovar at Russian organ to Spooner? Out of this world! (6)

TASS URN
43 of 63  -   Report This Post

jono

24th July 2024, 19:43
Thanks to all who entered this week’s challenge. Good to see Jimmy, Fiery and Ginge all making appearances.

Saturn appeared in the Guardian recently and most commentators thought the clue was a bit convoluted so I thought I’d see what you all could come up with and of course you did not disappoint.

A tough one to judge and if you had a favourite clue that I’ve not mentioned below, please do feel free to give it some love and appreciation!

I liked Chris’s single word anagram, Paul’s anagram @21 and Tyke’s reference to Phoebe and his alternate letters clue, also Darla’s rocket reference (see one of the links below). Ginge’s use of “inter” in a down clue was new to me but I like it. And thanks to Geeker for the SunRa link.

Ss@11/14 works very neatly , I may have been tempted to state the numbers as numerals for extra fiendishness. The fact that 9.5 is between 8 and 10 is remarkable.

Fiery@38 ‘s devil/urinal construction with the shift of the i is better than an anagram I think and Aristo@34 is cunning though I doubt I could have solved it.

My shortlist in no particular order was:-

Jimmy@10 nice clever surface and deceptively simple wordplay.

Amej@15 is a neat and simple subtractive. Nice spot that Saturn appears in astronaut.

Buddy’s subtractive anagram @7 is neat, and the spelling of Al would depend in the publication, so no issues there. “Lead for the alchemist” is a tight definition.

SS@9 which hides the definition well with two anagrinds, something I’m starting to favour.

However, this week’s winner is Buddy…

Magically transmute molten metal (not aluminum), leaving lead for alchemist (6)

Congrats Buddy here are your prizes…

Rocket…
https://youtu.be/8dpkmUjJ8xU

Cassini...
https://youtu.be/tyMbktsAScE

Saturnalia…
https://youtu.be/OImabGvoQNs

Cheers all,
Ttfn!
44 of 63  -   Report This Post

chrise

24th July 2024, 19:57
Congrats buddy and thanks jono.

I must confess that I'm completely baffled by that one. I can see neither definition nor wordplay. Could someone explain, please?
45 of 63  -   Report This Post

jono

24th July 2024, 19:59
Hi Chris,
The definition is no. 4 in Chambers.
Buddy showed the wordplay in his original post.
46 of 63  -   Report This Post

buddy

24th July 2024, 20:00
Thanks jono, When I saw that Saturn was "lead for alchemists" and that alchemists tried to transmute elements (although into gold, not lead), I was intrigued. I'm not sure "not aluminum" was the most elegant way to get the AL out of METAL, but it was an Azed-ish way out of the dilemma. I am also not sure mine was the best clue, but de gustibus non est disputandum.

Thanks for the clips. Me like space stuff.

ALSO GREAT TO SEE JIMMYG AND GINGE BACK!!
47 of 63  -   Report This Post

tyke51

24th July 2024, 20:02
Well done Buddy - thanks for the mention Jono and a good challenge.
48 of 63  -   Report This Post

geting

24th July 2024, 20:06
Congratulations Buddy and thanks for the challenge Jono
49 of 63  -   Report This Post

chrise

24th July 2024, 20:22
The Cassini one was fascinating. Was Saturnalia the origin of the medieval "Lord of Misrule" tradition?
50 of 63  -   Report This Post