CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

xij

14th June 2020, 10:42
A lovely puzzle with some easy, and some hard clues, with a lovely finish. Just one query though. Wouldn’t it appear more presentable by adding five more blanks, one top right and bottom left, and three bottom right? Otherwise it has to be drawn in another colour.
71 of 121  -   Report This Post

diver

14th June 2020, 13:18
I’ve worked out all the puzzle, phrases, shapes to draw, etc, but am not sure which of the phrases should go at bottom : 7,8 or 6,9, probably the former. Also need help with 23 across - I have ?ISNT, but don’t understand the wordplay. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.

72 of 121  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

14th June 2020, 13:26
Nb should be nO .......thus den is "no way" ...tisnt ..s inside tint
i put 7,8 underneath
73 of 121  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

14th June 2020, 13:27
defn not den ...sorry
74 of 121  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

14th June 2020, 13:33
Diver, you are correct with your choice of phrase. The preamble is quite unambiguous about which to select.
For 23ac, by entering the correct letter, you get a modern expression. Say it out loud - 2 words. Then a synonym for shade around sun yields the equivalent expression, which is in the BRB

75 of 121  -   Report This Post

diver

14th June 2020, 13:41
Many thanks, xwordfan and simplesimon.
76 of 121  -   Report This Post

smithsax

14th June 2020, 14:46
This was fun. Might be a bit pedantic but I dont think the connection between 8d and one of the phrases is that one is on the reverse of the other - as suggested earlier in this thread.
Reversing applies to the question which means the theme hints to 8d. Def 9 of the title (presumably the theme) suggests an album containing both 8d and one phrase.
The other phrase links to the theme but in a different way so must go below the grid.
77 of 121  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

14th June 2020, 15:10
Check the discography for release as a single (not just on the album)
78 of 121  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

14th June 2020, 15:29
Smithsax. Not pedantic at all! In fact, like your thinking. Def 9 does indeed link to the theme. When we saw the Q and A , we immediately thought “it’s the B side”, and the discography supported the fact. The rest followed. We’d got rid of the album years ago! The second phrase was much more fun so has got to be the candidate. We also write to Pedantry Corner in Private Eye !
79 of 121  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

14th June 2020, 17:54
It is very rare I see the Listener. Does it have to be submitted by post or is there an email address as well?
80 of 121  -   Report This Post