CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

7th July 2024, 10:46
Actually, the exact same parsing could be used for "babbly" (which is in Chambers) instead of "babble", so probably (see what I did there 😀) to wait for someone else - sorry:-(
21 of 29  -   Report This Post

morgana

7th July 2024, 11:17
Thanks, Brendan. I like your 'probable' suggestion, so I think I'll go with it. It's 'probably' correct. :)
22 of 29  -   Report This Post

brendan

7th July 2024, 11:32
Thanks Morgana, I must admit I felt pretty confident with my parsing of PROBABLE but thought, hmmm... I better check that BABBLY isn't a word which, of course, it turns out it is. Then I remembered that Malone does this puzzle and was pretty sure she'd know the answer and I'd be made to look silly, again, hence my craven hedging:-)
23 of 29  -   Report This Post

malone

7th July 2024, 11:57
Morning, Brendan. I had the same dilemma, slight dithering, as you with that clue...but opted for Probable in the end. I think it was 60/40 in my thinking. I also felt that there are no real guarantees with the Eye puzzle, so it's as well to just settle on something!

PS You don't seem to have needed your coloured pencils and pens for a while. I hope you're coping?
24 of 29  -   Report This Post

brendan

7th July 2024, 12:34
I won't lie Malone, I have missed them but haven't descended to full jonesing mode just yet as the last lot of puzzles have kept me busy.

My favourite pencils are the Berol Karisma, but production was stopped in 2005, now one has to scour sites like eBay in the hope of finding used sets or even used singles, alas their ever dwindling supply and stellar reputation among artists means they already cost a fortune and the price is only going to continue to rise.

Still, I am looking forward to the next puzzle that needs a bit of colour - as I'm sure you know, I do tend to erm... go a bit above and beyond what is written in the preamble 😜
25 of 29  -   Report This Post

malone

7th July 2024, 15:23
Thanks, Brendan. It was lovely to hear that you still have your enthusiasm for the world of colouring - and that you like the best tools for the job. You can have a Crayony Day fund, put all your spare change in there - and then treat yourself to some Karisma from time to time!

PS Going 'above and beyond'? I think you might have confused yourself with some over-zealous fanatic....
26 of 29  -   Report This Post

julesvern

10th July 2024, 20:50
Can anyone give me a hint (rather than the answer) for 5a please?
School gets dirt on objectionable type (7)
So far I only have C as the second letter, so I hope that getting it will help with the other two down clues.

27 of 29  -   Report This Post

malone

10th July 2024, 21:00
There's a common abbreviation for School and then a common word for dirt, soil, more....
28 of 29  -   Report This Post

julesvern

11th July 2024, 10:23
Thanks Malone, got it now!
29 of 29  -   Report This Post