CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

druh6sm

2nd July 2024, 03:45
Inaccessible for me I’m afraid.

1a - Ely desperately after pen to house college transport (7)

Is this something to do with the cathedral city I keep reading about?

Pen? Is this pencil, penalty, animal pen?
1 of 5  -   Report This Post

mattrom

2nd July 2024, 04:15
BICYCLE, transport. BIC, pen (Biro) + C for college, in an anagram (desperately) of ELY
2 of 5  -   Report This Post

darla

2nd July 2024, 04:15
Wondering where you are located. It’s just after 4 AM in the UK, so probably not there, but it’s only 8 PM where I am in California. I’ve done cryptics a long time, but took me awhile to get used to British stuff. Yes, there is a city in England called Ely and it has a famous cathedral. Here, however, the desperately seems to me to indicate an anagram. So try different arrangements of e, l, y in the last three spots, or possibly c, e, l, y with the c being for college. If you hit on ???ycle, then you might see bicycle as a possible word, and you go ah, Bic pen! Took me some messing around just like this to figure it out. Tricky clue. There are probably easier ones in this puzzle.
3 of 5  -   Report This Post

brendan

2nd July 2024, 04:16
I think it's a 3 letter brand name of a very popular "pen" followed by an anagram of "Ely" around C for college, giving a firm of 2 wheeled "transport".

Ely usually, it at least often is "see", but not in this case:-)
4 of 5  -   Report This Post

druh6sm

2nd July 2024, 12:53
Thank you. I’m currently on vacation in Florida; normally reside in UK.
5 of 5  -   Report This Post