CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rogissimo

8th June 2024, 00:38
A lovely offering from Philistine, but over too quickly for me.
FOI 5d, LOI (and competitor for COD) 27. 17d possibly wins the day by a nose for me, but the competition is stiff. Unlike last week, lots of smooth surfaces.
1 of 34  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

8th June 2024, 00:41
On reflection (as Sunak would say), I think I made a mistake. The elegant 10a has to be COD.
2 of 34  -   Report This Post

geeker

8th June 2024, 00:55
Thanks to Philistine.
Many good clues and smooth surfaces, but very much on the gentle side, perhaps more than expected from a Prize.
Two or three short solutions extremely straightforward.

FOI 1d, LOI 23.
Agreed 10 is a nice clue, and 17 was on my short list.
I'll say 3, 5d, and 27 are co-CODs because of clever subtleties (IMO) in wordplay.
3 of 34  -   Report This Post

geeker

8th June 2024, 00:56
Picaroon aka Buccaneer is in the FT tonight, so I'll try that after the quickie Prize.
4 of 34  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

8th June 2024, 01:03
Thanks for the heads-up, geeker. Currently ploughing through the Independent’s offering but will check out Buccaneer later.
5 of 34  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

8th June 2024, 01:22
Eccles in the Independent today is an enjoyable and fairly quick solve if you still find yourself at a loose end after Buccaneer, geeker.
https://puzzles.independent.co.uk/games/cryptic-crossword-independent
6 of 34  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

8th June 2024, 01:34
And back to Philistine: I’m trying to work out if there’s anything going on with 1, 21 and 28, but my eyes are glazing over and I need to sleep.
7 of 34  -   Report This Post

plutocrat

8th June 2024, 03:10
I'd heard a theory that the bottom right of a crossword was often easier than the rest of it, as the setter is trying to finish filling out the grid, so I decided to forgo my sequential approach, and try starting there. To my delight the clues started slotting in, and I worked myself, clue by clue up the grid until it was all done.
Feeling pretty smug I headed over here, only to find that everyone had found it easy. Dang.
Can't quite parse 2d, but maybe that will resolve itself after a coffee. Have a good weekend, all.
8 of 34  -   Report This Post

lucertola

8th June 2024, 06:24
All sorted but perplexed by 4d parsing. Got answer from definition and existing letters but where does the wheel come in. Pray tell. Ta.
9 of 34  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

8th June 2024, 07:10
Lucertola
Reversed uncluded word
10 of 34  -   Report This Post