CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

andyb

9th March 2019, 18:31
Anybody doing the GK crossword in today's Herald? I think the compiler (Kyle) has got an answer wrong. 10 and 16 across clue is First reader off BBC television news, in voiceover, in 1954. (7,5) My answer is Richard Baker but the letters I have are fine for Richard but I've got B?C?N as surname. The B & N are definitely correct. Any thoughts?
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

alanaw

9th March 2019, 19:06
I’d agree AndyB. Crossing letters B, C and N are all correct but Richard Bacon was/is known for distinctly non Richard Baker type behaviour!
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

jonty

10th March 2019, 13:03
The late Richard Baker was certainly the first BBC news reader and was the narrator of Mary Mungo and Midge. Looks like it could be a mistake on the setters part.
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

clueless

10th March 2019, 14:42
Richard Bacon was the first voice-over news reader
Richard Baker was the first on-screen news reader
Bacon is correct and fits with other clues
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

andyb

10th March 2019, 16:22
I'm still puzzled. I accept that BACON fits nicely but the only Richard Bacon that I could find was born 30/11/1975. Any more info?
AndyB
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

clueless

10th March 2019, 19:35
I confess that I am completely bewildered by this. I found earlier an article on line as reported in my post. (Oh yes I did!) A repeat search has failed to turn it up again, however, and I am left wondering if it has been deleted meantime. What I did find however was that on 4 September 1955, Kenneth Kendall became the first newscaster to appear on a British television screen in the flesh. Which would imply that Richard Baker was merely a voice over in 1954 when he started broadcasting the news. In view of this I withdraw my previous posting, with apology.
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

andyb

10th March 2019, 19:57
clueless,
No apology necessary, thanks for your time and trouble.
Cheers,
andyb
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

jonty

10th March 2019, 22:26
Do please post when you get an answer or results are published in the paper and so put us all out of our misery
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

andyb

11th March 2019, 18:03
Jonty, will do so next Sunday.
andyb
9 of 9  -   Report This Post