CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jazzgirl

12th May 2015, 17:00
My offers are:

1. SPIDER (Snooker rest) Cockney "Spied 'er"
2. STEPS ON ( crushes ) relative of a former union: step son)
3. BUFFET BARS ? (parts of watering holes/pubs/etc)
4. COUP DE MAIN ( A sudden vigorous attack (subtractive anagram) of "unaccompanied" minus "can"
5. SMELLING SALTS (they revive) fish = LING = "sweetness and light" initial letters = SAL = SMELTS (other fish) outside

Thanks as always jolan.

11 of 21  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

12th May 2015, 17:01
Sorry typo coup de main
12 of 21  -   Report This Post

ixion

12th May 2015, 17:02
Same as Jazzgirl (honest) except I can't find a unique answer for 3. lounge/saloon bars?
13 of 21  -   Report This Post

chrise

12th May 2015, 17:07
Thanks, jolan.
Busy day, so I didn't have time to look until now.
14 of 21  -   Report This Post

ginge

12th May 2015, 17:07
3. Impede as to block/obstruct or plug? Access (entry) eyes (watering holes)? Plugs used in waste and drain pipes.
15 of 21  -   Report This Post

jolan

12th May 2015, 17:08
Hi also to Daniel and Ixion. Well parsed Daniel. Never thought of lounge/saloon/window, so I suppose all are eligible. Here is my working:-

1. Spied ‘er sounds like SPIDER = (the) rest – in snooker, etc.

2. relative of a former union = step son; STEPS ON = crushes.

3. (cryptic) SALOON BARS. watering holes = pubs; parts of ‘em = saloon bars (saloon bar = area in a public house {Chambers def})

4. subtractive anagram (leave, characters reeling) of “unaccompanied” – “can” = COUP DE MAIN = A sudden vigorous attack (Chambers def)

5. fish = ling; by = alongside; ‘sweetness and light’ initially = s a l; other fish = smelt/s; and by keeping other fish out = smel(ling + sal)ts = SMELLING SALTS (they revive)

Wonder where all the other regulars are today?

Thank you all for participating (a particular congrats to Jazzy x)

J
16 of 21  -   Report This Post

jolan

12th May 2015, 17:10
and, of course, well parsed Jazzy
17 of 21  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

12th May 2015, 17:13
My (incorrect) answer Buffet bars (found inside pubs sometimes, but elsewhere also) was because
Chambers shows buffet as " deal heavy with"' Just thought, well, that would keep anyone out !! lol
18 of 21  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

12th May 2015, 17:16
... but they are pronounced differently,
i.e. buffit and buffay
19 of 21  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

12th May 2015, 17:55
Hello, Jolan. I checked in several hours ago but have been shut out of the site ever since. I did get them, though I wrote both saloon and lounge and was going to go with lounge, and I did have to look up that meaning of spider (oh, those foreign games). Nice ones as usual.
20 of 21  -   Report This Post