CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

28th March 2024, 22:05
I’ve received a message that the puzzle app will close on 30 April. I’ve no idea what this means but I assume personal history will be lost and the only way the access the full range of Guardian puzzles in future will be through a newspaper subscription rather than the puzzles app.
I’ll be very disappointed if this happens.

1 of 14  -   Report This Post

fernie

28th March 2024, 22:10
I have an online subscription, but I don't think I get the full range of puzzles. For that I'd need to pay for the app as well. ???
2 of 14  -   Report This Post

jono

28th March 2024, 22:20
From what I understand they are offering app users 3 months free access to the newspaper sub once the app closes but after that it will be £9.99 per month. The puzzles app used to cost about £30 per year.
3 of 14  -   Report This Post

fernie

28th March 2024, 22:37
That will go up eventually. Subscriber for a few years now, the monthly sub is now 14.99.

I get all crosswords (some only printable rather than interactive. eg Azed) and wordiply. Perhaps there aren't any more puzzles?
4 of 14  -   Report This Post

darla

28th March 2024, 23:13
That is disappointing. I like the app. Easier to use than doing them online.
5 of 14  -   Report This Post

geeker

29th March 2024, 11:50
Could this mark the end of free puzzles at the Guardian? Perhaps they are going the Times route.
6 of 14  -   Report This Post

jono

29th March 2024, 15:35
The Times’ puzzles subscription is £5 per month, which I think is good value given all the puzzles you have access to and includes the Crossword Club and Listener.

I do like the free FT online app, though I wonder if they will monetise that at some point.
7 of 14  -   Report This Post

fernie

30th March 2024, 09:54
Seeing the Easter Special thread I've just realised how rubbish the Guardian App is. I only see the interactive crosswords on there, and I've been missing all the "paper-only" ones. For those I have to use my browser and log in there.

Wonder what else I've been missing...
8 of 14  -   Report This Post

jono

30th March 2024, 10:34
Azed tomorrow, Genius on Monday. Neither are supported in the app.
9 of 14  -   Report This Post

brendan

4th April 2024, 17:58
I noticed today that the app is no longer available on Google Play store!

There goes my nightly ritual of doing the codeword, expert sudoku and quick crossword before I turn in - shame 😥
10 of 14  -   Report This Post