CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

candledave

1st May 2024, 17:57
The 5 letter vertical chap is a red herring, you need a couple of 6 letter vertical chaps
81 of 95  -   Report This Post

eenk

1st May 2024, 18:00
Thanks cd, I have now found it, so all done. But talk about obscure! Not at all happy with this puzzle.
82 of 95  -   Report This Post

smithsax

1st May 2024, 23:05
Oh dear. Just cannot see the cryptic representation of the statement from the vertical duo. I know the statement and that the cryptic representation must be in 5 (or six if they overlap) cells.
Does it work in a similar way to the longer cryptic representation of the other statement?
Others seem to have found it easily so I worry that I may have made an error in the grid fill.
Incidentally, I have a digital subscription for the Times which I really only use for the Listener. It is quite expensive - especially as I have just started subscribing to the Magpie which seems to be excellent value! I phoned them today to cancel it having become really frustrated with this offering but the nice lady persuaded me to keep it on by offering a 75% discount for the next 12 months!
Always worth challenging the system.

83 of 95  -   Report This Post

granama1

2nd May 2024, 06:23
Smithsax, think in American terms rather than European and yes, it is cryptically constructed.

It took me quite a long time to twig.
84 of 95  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

2nd May 2024, 10:23
Finally finished, what a bloody awful puzzle. Seriously hope Colleague has a long hard look at himself after that.

Would have been a neat idea if the endgame hadn't been made pointlessly arduous by using adjusted surnames and including a completely random red herring.

The second (shorter) cryptic representation is completely obvious if you have the right quote - the one from ODQ.
85 of 95  -   Report This Post

smithsax

2nd May 2024, 11:17
Ah - I don’t have the ODQ. I give up.
It feels like this puzzle started with one quotation and the altered surnames and the other was bolted on later as an afterthought.
86 of 95  -   Report This Post

simond9x

2nd May 2024, 11:21
I've been surprised by some of the comments on here. I sometimes (25%) fail to complete the Listener. Maybe I was just lucky but I found this one very straightforward. As soon as I spotted the long name in the grid, I thought it might be those particular circumstances (from the title) and that statement so completing the trio wasn't difficult. I'd already noticed the main surname from the duo. I wasn't aware of the second statement but a quick Google (combined with some words from the first statement) confirmed it and gave me the second name of the duo, The cryptic representations weren't too difficult to spot from the two statements. Not too much grid-searching and I never saw any red herrings. So, maybe just a lucky guess early on but I enjoyed this one. I'll probably be back here for help with 4814 :-)
87 of 95  -   Report This Post

smithsax

2nd May 2024, 13:49
Simond9x. I had a similar experience to you until the last cryptic representation. (I have now found it)
All references I found on the internet all included a five letter word ending in Y or a four letter word ending in M. I gather the IDQ uses six letter pleural word which does not seem to come up anything like as frequently on google searches.
If you know the correct word finding it cryptically represented in a straight line is easy.
It is near impossible if you don’t.
88 of 95  -   Report This Post

simond9x

2nd May 2024, 14:09
Ah, the plural word was in the first result returned by my Google so I didn't look any further.
89 of 95  -   Report This Post

gem94

2nd May 2024, 16:39
From the Listener website
https://listenercrossword.com/List_Intro.html#advice
Apart from Chambers, the ODQ and Brewer's are suggested as reference sources for solvers, and it follows that thematic quotations will normally be based on what is given in ODQ.
90 of 95  -   Report This Post