CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pootle

27th April 2024, 17:53
(And the representation of the duo’s phrase)
21 of 95  -   Report This Post

gitto

27th April 2024, 19:17
I've been out all day and just returned and it is good to see that other solvers are a frustrated as me. Although I have the two statements, three names and the longer cryptic representation I cannot fathom out the shorter one. I've given up on the other two names as (remarkably and thankfully) I don't need them - but that 2nd representation is now beginning to really bug me. I hope colleague doesn't GWIT from this end!!!
22 of 95  -   Report This Post

candledave

27th April 2024, 19:26
gitto - how did you get the second statement without either of the two names?
23 of 95  -   Report This Post

gitto

27th April 2024, 19:37
CD, two of the names I have are of the same nationality and the difference between the two statements is one word, one 5 letters long and the other being one letter shorter.
24 of 95  -   Report This Post

candledave

27th April 2024, 19:41
The second statement isn’t as similar as that to the first. You may need to find one of the other names
25 of 95  -   Report This Post

gitto

27th April 2024, 19:42
I have just checked, and the one with the longer cryptic indication is NOT from the same country as the other - although they do border each other,
26 of 95  -   Report This Post

kindred2

27th April 2024, 22:13
Progress... I have the two not in their commonly recognised form, and found the cryptic statement that goes with them! I have the surname (X) of another who is related to that statement. I have another potential surname (Y) who is in a field related to person (X), but no idea if that's right, and certainly can't find any other cryptic statements or surnames of the appropriate length.

27 of 95  -   Report This Post

kindred2

27th April 2024, 22:41
Gah! Posted and solved it (nearly). I revisited a niggling couple of thoughts from earlier and it's all come together.
28 of 95  -   Report This Post

rhsl

28th April 2024, 04:26
Too much of a GWIT endgame for me. Somehow, it meant that I didn't even enjoy the PDMs.
I can't remember a less enjoyable Listener. Except perhaps one of the number puzzles.
I'm confident in my solution (except that one of the duo is a little tenuous, or my research is poor) but I sense from earlier comments that others have found different names, at least.
29 of 95  -   Report This Post

kindred2

28th April 2024, 06:19
I agree. Bizarrely, it was the shorter of the altered names that when I saw it triggered a memory and then I looked up the longer altered name in that context and it started to fall into place. But honestly I'm too young (45) to have that as 'general knowledge' (so not sure where it came from!) and with the uncommon form of the longer surname it's really not look-up-able.
30 of 95  -   Report This Post