CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

candledave

28th April 2024, 10:38
Yes, and they’re all different
41 of 95  -   Report This Post

granama1

28th April 2024, 10:40
PS the trio weren't actually all alive at the same time, just 2 - if I've got things right).
42 of 95  -   Report This Post

kitsune

28th April 2024, 11:21
An easy grid fill followed by quite a long grid stare and some googling before the penny finally dropped. I felt a bit underwhelmed once it was complete - a bit of a slog tbh.

Two loose ends for me:
Please can someone give me a nudge for the parsing of 42a? Disruption ofvthe wild tailless monkey.
And I've not yet found the last of the trio, so any gentle hints would be greatly appreciated.
43 of 95  -   Report This Post

gitto

28th April 2024, 11:26
I have now finished this with all five names and both cryptic representations. There are several different versions of the question leading to the relevant response which didn't help. It was when I found the final (obscure and unknown to me) name that I found the relevant question. If the PDM is dependent upon a GWIT moment there should be no ambiguity, and having to trawl the internet to find that GWIT is both tedious and unnecessary. For me, this is another Listener where the final stage ruins the whole pleasure of starting it in the first place.
44 of 95  -   Report This Post

gitto

28th April 2024, 11:29
Kitsune, 42a, Wild 4 letters (tailless) + a monkey (3 letters)
45 of 95  -   Report This Post

cruncher

28th April 2024, 11:33
Kitsune - I assumed that the first three letters were a truncated version of a word that loosely means "wild". The last three letters are in Chambers.
For myself I'm frustrated by the endgame and a bit fed up of grid-staring. So far I have two unorthodox versions of familiar surnames and a third who was the focus of their collaboration. I can guess at a (short) cryptic representation of a relevant quote.
If they are the trio then I have one name for the duo who made a similar statement. According to Google the person they were speaking to does not appear in the grid - a significant letter is entirely absent from the grid - and I have no idea how that quotation might be depicted.
Am I miles off?
46 of 95  -   Report This Post

jbird54

28th April 2024, 11:34
Kitsune - 42A definition first word, 4-letter 'wild' with last letter missing, plus (to me obscure) 3-letter non-animal 'monkey'
47 of 95  -   Report This Post

gitto

28th April 2024, 11:44
Cruncher, the cryptic indication relating to the trio is longer than that relating to the duo. As to the names of the duo, IMO, that bit is a joke and took hours trawling the internet. If you google the final relevant words from the response, and the name of the person who gave it, it will finally surface, but not easily.
48 of 95  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

28th April 2024, 11:55
Cruncher, beware a short version. I initially fell into that trap for the unwary. The name of the second part of the duo is in the grid.
49 of 95  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

28th April 2024, 11:57
Gitto, it’s much easier to find that exchange in ODQ than by googling.
50 of 95  -   Report This Post