CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

moffat

29th April 2024, 16:49
GWIT = Guess what I’m thinking - (I think)

5d - switch time for neuter in a word for catches
6d - subtract good from a baking box

1a - no idea
71 of 95  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

29th April 2024, 17:05
Haven't read the rest of the thread as still trying to solve unaided. Just popped in to vent my frustration.

Aaarrrggghhhj.

Finished the gridfill hours ago. Not the foggiest what's going on with the names. I have two possible (unconnected as far as I can see) names after a lot of grid staring. God I hate puzzles like this.

Rant over
72 of 95  -   Report This Post

neophyte

29th April 2024, 17:22
1a - not sure but last three words are definition. Wordplay includes adding a 2-letter 'letter' and subtracting a 2-letter 'indication of scepticism'

I spent about a day grid-staring off and on, before my main PDM, helped by some of the comments in this thread. My second and final PDM has just come courtesy of a very specific post in a quote forum, made on 1st March, which I'm almost wondering may have been put there by Colleague
73 of 95  -   Report This Post

neophyte

29th April 2024, 17:30
36a is a double definition (surprisingly enough)
74 of 95  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

30th April 2024, 04:17
1A - base of wordplay is a ludicrously obscure archaic synonym for ‘forsooth’ as an interjection, modified as described below.
75 of 95  -   Report This Post

0pt0

30th April 2024, 12:33
I am about to throw the towel in with this one! I have solved all the clues and therefore have a full grid. I have found the two names which are not in their usual format and I know how they are connected: I have also found a third name which is connected to the other two and I presume that these comprise the trio referred to in the preamble. I have found a five letter cryptic representation of what the long name said to the shorter name. If I am correct so far, I now need the other two names and there is one in plain sight vertically in the grid. His (probably) most famous output was compiled in a manner which could be described by one of the words of the title of this puzzle. Is this relevant, or is the vertical name in plain sight a red herring? I trust that I have not been too specific with anything I have said here.
76 of 95  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

30th April 2024, 13:18
Opto, the red herring is the 5 letter representation. Look up the vertical name in ODQ.
77 of 95  -   Report This Post

0pt0

1st May 2024, 09:33
Jack Aubrey, many thanks for your hint at # 77. I now have the two missing names and one of the cryptic representations. Currently grid-searching for the other one.
78 of 95  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

1st May 2024, 12:16
Glad it helped 0pt0. Good luck on the final stretch!
79 of 95  -   Report This Post

eenk

1st May 2024, 17:36
I am with 0pt0 on this, save that I have rejected the red herring in favour of an alternative, 13 cell, treatment. But I am now stuck. I have also identified the 5 letter vertical chap, but cannot find him in my ODQ! Help would be appreciated.
And in general, I completely agree with those who detest this excessive, GWIT grid-staring.
80 of 95  -   Report This Post