CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gitto

27th April 2024, 11:45
I'm shelving this for a while. I have 3 names (24 letters) and the 2 similar statements. Don't know who the duo are meant to be and I cannot see the third member of the trio, nor do I know either of the two cryptic indications of the statements.
11 of 95  -   Report This Post

twelvetree

27th April 2024, 12:41
Add me to the list of frustrated grid-starers. I have two surnames that i think are the 'non standard' ones, both ending with the same cell. I have a five letter surname that is the famous link between the other two. I would expect a third name to make the trio but he's not in the grid as far as I can see.

As far as the two statments go, I have the obvious statement and its representation in the grid.

Is there another version of the statement with completely different people involved? I know there were two separate 'acts' where the statement I have is given (one far more famous than the other).

God, I hate GWIT endings.....
12 of 95  -   Report This Post

jbird54

27th April 2024, 14:44
I'm now all done after a lot of grid-staring. IMO this one is a bit too much on the 'GWIT' side. Maybe I was just slow to see what was happening!
13 of 95  -   Report This Post

planks

27th April 2024, 16:34
I'm with you twelvetree. The last bit is proving elusive, I've tried leaving it and then seeing if the light dawns, but no. I think this will be joining the tedious golf-based one and being filed under 'better things to do'.
14 of 95  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

27th April 2024, 16:55
I have the duo and trio, the two statements and a (to me at least) convincing pair of cryptic representations in straight lines. But my total is only 11 cells. Some head scratching still to do….
15 of 95  -   Report This Post

lumen

27th April 2024, 17:28
That's exactly where I am Jack.
Oh, just as I post I see it!
16 of 95  -   Report This Post

lumen

27th April 2024, 17:29
Your 5 is wrong.
Hope that's not too much information.
17 of 95  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

27th April 2024, 17:48
Thanks, Lumen. I spotted it too and realised that I had blundered into an all too obvious elephant trap. You have earned a “Gotcha!”, Colleague!
18 of 95  -   Report This Post

pootle

27th April 2024, 17:49
I’m in a similar boat to others. I have two surnames in uncommon form with which I would expect to see another, and a cryptic representation of their phrase. I also have a single surname associated with a similar phrase but I can’t find a representation of that phrase and I don’t know where the duo comes in.
19 of 95  -   Report This Post

pootle

27th April 2024, 17:52
And I’ve immediately seen the other name of the duo! Just the third of the trio left now.
20 of 95  -   Report This Post