CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

kitsune

28th April 2024, 16:19
I finally found the last name. For those still struggling, it helps to fully research both quotes.

61 of 95  -   Report This Post

crowdedmorning

28th April 2024, 17:06
Thanks, gitto—suppose I’ll simply have to stare more! I don’t have enough topical knowledge to have any specific ideas of what to look for.
62 of 95  -   Report This Post

mullingar

28th April 2024, 22:27
Thank you gitto and Jack - limped across the line with your help. I see the second cryptic I had was a red herring. Pleased that i can rest in peace for now. Thank you for the nudges
63 of 95  -   Report This Post

will37

28th April 2024, 22:51
16a: Run out of coloured fur? Take it to cat (6). There's no need to solve this clue as there are no unchecked letters (as long as you're confident with your crossers, which I am). But I am clueless as to the solution to this clue - both def and wordplay - and would appreciate a steer.
64 of 95  -   Report This Post

buddy

28th April 2024, 22:56
cat in the sense of barf, vomit, spew, chunder, upchuck, heave.

standard abbrev for coloured + a fur with run removed
65 of 95  -   Report This Post

will37

28th April 2024, 23:16
Thank you so much, buddy. It has been niggling all weekend.
66 of 95  -   Report This Post

williamseal

29th April 2024, 10:54
Well I'm still battling away on this one.

Have completed all entries (but cannot parse 1 ac and 36 across, and 5 and 6 down!) . Grid staring is not my strength however.
I have two names (building on Mulligar 54 post): I would not wish to sit through their output!) and the ODQ produces a quotation. Any hints on the other three and what is meant by not commonly recognised form would be welcome. I do not want to give up quite yet.
Is GWIT "get with it"? My google suggests 'glow wire ignition temperature'!

Greetings to all
67 of 95  -   Report This Post

planks

29th April 2024, 11:40
williamseal, your grid staring should reveal a long name usually thought of as a first name. A bit of googling should set you an your way?

Hope this helps
68 of 95  -   Report This Post

williamseal

29th April 2024, 12:05
Thanks Planks

I now have the long name. I lived there during my time at a neighbouring university in the late 60s, I'll carry on.

69 of 95  -   Report This Post

planks

29th April 2024, 12:07
Pleasure, williamseal, if you were at Uni in the 60s you should be of an age to recall the source, good luck.
70 of 95  -   Report This Post