CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gitto

13th April 2024, 12:20
This is far from my POTY. I am still struggling with some misprints, and quite a few of those I have are definitely stretching the limits of fairness - as are some parts of normal wordplay. I have the alternative offered by the group, so I know what to do with the three normal clues, but not how to do it, nor do I have the 11 letter name nor the 14 cells fitting the phrase. Another bout of grid staring awaits.
21 of 143  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

13th April 2024, 12:42
I'm with gitto here. For me it's a terribly frustrating puzzle and I may well bin it shortly. Hardly any of the verbose clues have any semblance of a surface reading. I'm probably simply not on Seps' wavelength.
22 of 143  -   Report This Post

gitto

13th April 2024, 13:00
Good to know that I am not alone bobby. I am extremely worried about my solution. I have changed 6 letters in the 11 to give the 14 letters required but that gives me all real words with one abbreviation, I have no word related to fiction. Additionally, my 3 normal clues amount to two more letters than those needed to give the group - but even then I can't do that leaving real words in the grid - but the rubric doesn't actually state that the final grid only has real words.
23 of 143  -   Report This Post

jbird54

13th April 2024, 14:00
Gitto - your abbreviation IS the word related to fiction.

If you treat all of the 3 normal clues following the hint given by the the phrase from the altered letters, then the phrase group emerges directly,
24 of 143  -   Report This Post

gitto

13th April 2024, 14:15
jbird54, That is what I have one, but as the phrase group spans different answers I am surprised that you are not asked to highlight it.
25 of 143  -   Report This Post

jbird54

13th April 2024, 14:23
Gitto - yes, I agree that a highlight requirement would make sense
26 of 143  -   Report This Post

cmjhutton

13th April 2024, 15:32
Love this puzzle and everything has worked out in a satisfying way; I also worried about a GWIT ending but that wasn't the case at all.

I'm having trouble with the final letter of 29 down. I know what the answer is but the word plays seems to me to indicate a spelling that I cannot find anywhere?
27 of 143  -   Report This Post

will37

13th April 2024, 16:14
The final letter of 29d is a single letter meaning "yes"
28 of 143  -   Report This Post

foinaven

13th April 2024, 17:10
I don't think this puzzle is for me: too much 'general knowledge' about an activity I have no interest in. Having wondered why the Empress Augusta popped up twice I now see what it was meant to signify, but still it took me a good 20 minutes to work out 1 across. Wasted an inordinate amount of time chasing a Hulk. And there are several places where i have two out of three or four letters and cannot complete. I suspect that the resulting chase will also involve lots of material which is well-known to the pub quiz community but not to me.

I seems a bit early to give up, but if each extra letter is going to be such a struggle, it might be sensible.
29 of 143  -   Report This Post

midgers

13th April 2024, 17:45
Foinaven, your comments - and your, if I may say so, rather snobbish reference to the “pub quiz community” don’t reflect much respect for either the setter or the editors. Virtually no general knowledge about the theme is required to complete the grid, although those who have that knowledge will better appreciate the skilled clueing. The endgame needs a little research but no more than many other puzzles and there are at least two further delicious PDMs to come once you get past the first theme. It’s a brilliant puzzle and worth persevering with.
30 of 143  -   Report This Post