CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

granama1

14th April 2024, 08:33
Struggled with the final stages of this last night. Looked afresh this morning and the penny drops were rather like those arcade machines. Lots of pennies dropped ending with a doh!/laugh. 🤣
71 of 143  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

14th April 2024, 08:44
1A - here always means ‘in every instance’; as previously commented upon, it won’t be in Chambers.
72 of 143  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

14th April 2024, 08:44
Many thanks to Seps for an intricate technical challenge and a hilarious PDM. The links to the ostensible theme were ingenious. (My parents developed an advanced case of this condition after retirement; it is a distressing malady with serious side-effects, including atrophy of the wallet.)
73 of 143  -   Report This Post

specsaver

14th April 2024, 08:48
1ac - University is usual abbreviation and needs to leave first word twice.
Last 6 words need one letter change to provide definition.
74 of 143  -   Report This Post

laertes

14th April 2024, 14:56
As a very keen golfer and someone who only rarely fully solves the Listener, I was delighted to see this puzzle this weekend but automatically assumed that the theme was something other than the obvious. Nevertheless I am still a long way from solving it.

For example 13a "Sound quality if Nicklaus's heading great fighter in rough". I think the first two words are the def with no misprint? N + the usual boxer? I can think of a word for an unpleasant sounding voice but the remaining letters do not suggest "rough" :(

11d I have the last seven letters but cannot make anything fit wordplay and def. "Prolonged healing state supports Tiger's second chapter, thousands uplifted".

And as I typed out a request for help with 37 I figured out the parsing lol.
75 of 143  -   Report This Post

h1982

14th April 2024, 15:06
Laertes

13a I believe you have the correct answer. I have a correction to the third word of clue. Answer is the fighter surrounded by a 5 letter word for rough.

11d Def is first two words with an adjustment.
76 of 143  -   Report This Post

h1982

14th April 2024, 15:09
And for the parsing of 11d, thousands aren’t the usual. It’s a short 3 letter word meaning specifically 100,000 and according to BRB, usually used with Rupees.
77 of 143  -   Report This Post

jbird54

14th April 2024, 15:13
Laertes

13a - the first 5 words are the definition including a misprint. I'm sure you have the correct boxer - put that inside a word meaning 'rough'.

11d - definition first 2 words with a misprint. You have the word meaning 'state' at the end of the answer. The other letters of the answer are clued as 1-letter + 1-letter + three letters, all put backwards at the beginning. The word for 'thousands is a bit obscure, comes from India.
78 of 143  -   Report This Post

laertes

14th April 2024, 15:21
Thanks for both of those. That has helped me sort out a missing misprint in the first few clues too.

Only 15 clues left lol. Including two where I have all the letters bar the central uncrossed letter - 8d and 9d. (assuming i have not got something else wrong)
79 of 143  -   Report This Post

lumen

14th April 2024, 15:32
Help appreciated with 33d. Is there an abbreviation for eagle perhaps?
80 of 143  -   Report This Post