CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

espebe

15th April 2024, 09:55
Thank you setter. I am a relative newcomer to the Listener and this forum. I enjoy the puzzles most when they balance entertainment with challenge and, for me at least, this was spot on.
91 of 143  -   Report This Post

unstuck

15th April 2024, 10:13
Clue 32 across - 'Pot here goes to.....' - is baffling me. I have the corrected letter for the first word of the clue (I think) and all five checked letters which I think/hope are correct, but still the answer escapes me. Does it begin with T? A kind nudge would be most appreciated.
92 of 143  -   Report This Post

cmjhutton

15th April 2024, 11:36
29 down still driving me mad! Either the answer is a non-standard spelling that I cannot find a single reference to anywhere, or the final letter is an abbreviation that I also have not seen before. Could someone put me out of my misery and tell me which one is the case? Would be very much appreciated!
93 of 143  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

15th April 2024, 11:57
I = aye = yes.

Can highly recommend getting a Kindle version of Bradford’s - though all the above are in Chambers, Bradford’s makes life so much easier.
94 of 143  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

15th April 2024, 12:03
32A does start with T.

Borrowing last week’s theme, the Pulp Fiction track ‘Little Green Bag’ is an eggcorn for a synonym for the last word of the clue, required for the wordplay.

Apparently all of the 45’s were accidentally printed incorrectly, so they just went with it.
95 of 143  -   Report This Post

unstuck

15th April 2024, 12:35
Many thanks HW7 for confirming 32 across starts with T and I now have the solution.
96 of 143  -   Report This Post

gregwatsonuk

15th April 2024, 13:39
Mixed views on this one, by the look of it. Overall, I'm in the "rather enjoyed" it camp, notwithstanding some of the overly contorted clueing and one or two misspellings that stretched credulity.
I did enjoy a little red herring within the end game - the first part of the group can also refer to someone connected with the first name revealed. Lost a bit of time chasing that hypothesis!
97 of 143  -   Report This Post

whistler

15th April 2024, 19:49
Evening all,

Late to the party here, but grateful for all your nudges. Bottom left corner is my achilles heel here.

A nudge for 32a - pot here goes..

Or 37a - now in light..

Would help greatly.

Also 8d - sink in to it... Maybe I've got 15a wrong, but I'm only one letter short and can't make sense of any of the options.

Hoping that the misspellings from the above will lead to a PDM on the phrase!

Thanks, all.
98 of 143  -   Report This Post

simond9x

15th April 2024, 20:00
Evening whistler,

To minimise spoilers, I'll try to be somewhat 'vague'.

32a definition is several words at the start of the clue

37a ditto

8d definition is at the end of the clue. I've finished but still have 3 queries on wordplay - this is one of them.

Apologies if that's too revealing or not revealing enough.

99 of 143  -   Report This Post

kindred2

15th April 2024, 20:13
Just 1a to get, which looks like it cant be a word at all, which makes me worried about 1,2,3 and 4 down, good crossword in the end, some clues rather impenetrable.
100 of 143  -   Report This Post