CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

smellyharry

26th February 2024, 10:04
I can see why you would think that, but it's not flipped.
41 of 73  -   Report This Post

gitto

26th February 2024, 10:11
I think my brain has just imploded! Time for a coffee and a rethink methinks.
42 of 73  -   Report This Post

rickye

26th February 2024, 10:19
I’ve now got something that works if not as crisply as I’d hoped so I’ll put it away!
43 of 73  -   Report This Post

smithsax

26th February 2024, 13:32
Rickye - it’s fairly crisp when you see how to do it - with the constraint of straight lines. I managed to horseshoe in a less precise outline before I bothered reading the second half of the preamble - and the title.
44 of 73  -   Report This Post

gitto

26th February 2024, 17:18
Flummoxed - and getting a little bit tired of challenging, but manageable, grid fills only to spend 3-4 times as long trying to see a GWIT. I've now given up on this as the crossword should be more challenging than an end game - AKA those that bloody hare!!!!!!!!!!!!
45 of 73  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

26th February 2024, 17:22
Gitto - one final hint. Flipping it doesn't work as if you flip, the early part of your 8 letter feature it's still running broadly n/s, whereas if you look at the map it should be going broadly E/w.
46 of 73  -   Report This Post

throck

26th February 2024, 18:38
Isn't it more NW-SE? And I need to take a lie-down after being reminded of the hare. The position of the triangular item might help.
47 of 73  -   Report This Post

whistler

26th February 2024, 19:14
Gitto- when you threaten to throw in the towel, I always know you're close to solving it! Darkest before dawn etc.

For my part I'm still staring at a half filled grid.

I can't make any sense of 1 down - Responsibility in chaos rests with a blooming Mediterranean.

Also 32 across- Decide to keep on two Americans making pile of money.

A gentle hint on either would be much appreciated.
48 of 73  -   Report This Post

mattrom

26th February 2024, 19:57
Whistler,
1d. is 'responsibility' + an anagram. Def. is (4'1-5)
32a. 'Decide' around 1 letter, + 2 different abbreviations for 'American'
49 of 73  -   Report This Post

whistler

26th February 2024, 20:57
Thanks, Mattrom

In both cases you've confirmed my understanding of the word play. It's just a lack of imagination around synonyms and definitions which undoes me.
50 of 73  -   Report This Post