CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

amej

26th March 2024, 21:26
Thanks Malone! I think I know who the man with the broom is. Not Mr. Potter.
41 of 51  -   Report This Post

thom

27th March 2024, 09:38
Thank you! After staring at the grid for an entire episode of Masterchef the solution finally presented itself. Another classic of the "this is nonsense I have no idea what is going on" to "IT ALL MAKES SENSE" IQ solving pipeline.
42 of 51  -   Report This Post

malone

27th March 2024, 09:41
Thanks, Thom. Glad you made it all the way to the end!
43 of 51  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

27th March 2024, 15:12
I thought this pretty stiff after Shirley's excellent Listener.

Two problems to resolve.

If the third character is correctly entered it overwrites a letter of one of the others.

At 10 down I have a possibility (which I can't parse) whose entry would be 2 1 1, and would fit the criterion for one of the affected entry methods (that sounds garbled!)
44 of 51  -   Report This Post

malone

27th March 2024, 15:17
BC, the overwriting is fine - it is resolved by the further instructions.

I'm not really seeing your 10 D. My answer is treated - the first two letters entered are the second two of the answer, the second two are the first two letters of the solution in reverse order. Hope that makes sense?
45 of 51  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

27th March 2024, 15:42
Thanks, Malone. That means my solution at 10 would fit with the first method of treatment but I'm still not convinced that I am correct. Is your solution a four letter word that cannot be regarded otherwise?

Sorry that this is a little vague!
46 of 51  -   Report This Post

malone

27th March 2024, 15:50
Thanks, BC. I didn't pay much attention to the methods on Saturday, but from a quick look now, I'd say my 10 D gets the second treatment. (Oh, and other entries have just confirmed that.)

My clue answer appears in crosswords quite regularly.
47 of 51  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

27th March 2024, 15:58
Thanks again, Malone. My dodgy "TO A T" is clearly off beam!

I think I have it - a jot?
48 of 51  -   Report This Post

malone

27th March 2024, 16:00
Thanks, BC. I'm relieved about your corrected answer, I was scared I'd gone astray with some of the info I was dishing out!
49 of 51  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

27th March 2024, 16:07
Thanks again😊
50 of 51  -   Report This Post